Thursday, May 16, 2013

Midnight Mischief


When I look at the stars, the stars...
I feel like myself
-Switchfoot-


Oh, my sweet boys...

Do you remember that night back in August?  Gramma said there would be a meteor shower.  It would be so beautiful to see in a desert sky, removed from city lights.

We stayed up far past your bedtimes... even past when your daddy and I usually dose off.  Giddy, we took a blanket and sneaked through the foliage and onto the greens.  The frogs were croaking and the crickets were chirping, and we lay side by side in our bathing suits and gazed into the dark void, hoping to see a streak of magic dancing across the sky, among the twinkling star-lights.

"Oh, did you see that?"

"I just saw one, too!"

"We are going to get so busted for being out here," Josh mused.

"Well, I didn't see any 'No Trespassing' signs, and if someone asked us to leave, we'll leave," I replied.

And then we heard a pop, followed by sprays of water in every direction.  Squealing, we ran to dry ground on the edge of the lush grass, and resituated ourselves to gaze back at the heavens.

Then, another pop... right under daddy.  Eeeeeeek!!

This time, we embraced the aquatic shenanigans, drenching ourselves in the cool, misty rains.  

Jumping, twirling, running, dancing... until we were out of breath.

We finally took our respite up on a mound next to one of the putting green holes.

Daddy started singing, and we joined in, gazing skyward once again...

Bless the Lord, O my soul
O my soul
Worship His holy name
Sing like never before
O my soul
I'll worship Your holy name

 As we finally made our way back through the shrubs, the warm desert wind gently blowing us dry, I remember thinking that I didn't want the night to end.  

It will always be a treasured memory, my loves.




6 comments:

Sandy said...

What a great memory for all of you. The boys probably loved that the sprinklers came on!

Tamera Beardsley said...

Thank you for sharing your precious moment.... and so beautifully written!

Andee Flynn said...

What a beautiful story- and such a beautiful way to give glory to God for His creation..

Megan said...

Oh, how fun! What a great story to cherish for years :)

Cassi Brightforest said...

how beautiful

Denise said...

sacred.
*love*

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...