Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Month 2 ~ Repentance

Part of Man year

If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, 
and the truth is not in us. 
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just, 
to forgive us our sins, 
and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 
1 John 1:8-9

During May of Man Year, Josh focused on the theme of repentance.   

He learned about what repentance is... a deep sorrow for past sin/wrongdoing or regret for a past action.  He also learned that the Greek word for repent is "metanoia" or "a change of mind."  That makes a lot of sense, doesn't it?  God helping us change our mind and behavior.

Josh drew some comic strips that illustrated the elements of being wronged and repenting with a sorrow for the wrongdoing, followed by a change of behavior, forgiveness and reconciliation.  I couldn't photograph and post them, since they are pretty tiny characters!!  But they are very cute!


Throughout the month, Patrick and Josh read and discussed the book "Beautiful Outlaw" by John Eldredge.  They talked about who Jesus is... both fully God and fully human.  I eavesdropped on some of their discussions about what it is to have an intimate relationship with Jesus.  He is not just a religion or part of an organization, but a God who came to sanctify us and make us holy, "walking beside us" throughout our lives, and guiding us by His Holy Spirit. 



At the end of the month, Patrick took Josh on a hike to illustrate the idea of continually walking in repentance, and what to do when you take the wrong path.



Bifurcation became the word of the month.  Essentially, it is like saying "fork in the road," but we think that bifurcation is a really fun word to say, and it gave Josh a good mental picture.  He started thinking about how bifurcations can lead to other bifurcations, and that he should really think about the paths he wants to take.

We also acted out (well, I directed) the story of The Prodigal Son, to illustrate repentance and the heart of God toward His children.




This was really fun to do.  Afterward, we had a good family discussion about the grace and generosity of the father, as well as the sins of both of the sons.  We talked about why the brothers made the choices they did and how their choices and the way they handled their emotions and desires affected their lives.  Ultimately, our heavenly Father wants what is best for us, and rejoices when we repent from our sins and when we are reconciled to Him, and often to others.  We need to look to Him with an abundance of gratitude and thanksgiving, instead of feeling deprived.



Finally, here are some conclusions Josh came to, regarding the theme of repentance:

"I think truly repenting is truly acknowledging your sins and asking God to take care of them, then to right your wrongs and ask for forgiveness. Learning about repentance is sort of freaky, because God is ultimately altering our minds! I’ve also seen He is way more human than I ever thought.  Jesus is not distant, He wants a relationship with us. We shouldn’t hide things from Him, but give Him every detail of our problems and sins. He wants to forgive us, take it away from us, and throw it into the depths of the ocean."

 In a letter I wrote to encourage him, I said this:

"Josh, I see in you a heart that sometimes struggles to repent, but deep down I see that you want to do the right thing.  I see your tears and your sorrow when you realize you have hurt someone or rebelled against God.  I see your contrite heart and your willingness to ask forgiveness.  I see that sin grieves you, as it does God.  I’m thankful that you don’t want it to rule your life."

10 comments:

CoachZ said...

SO GOOD! When we meet the REAL Jesus we MUST repent! Great month. Love how it's dove tailing nicely with Perseverance and Endurance (this month). Love that Jesus is guiding us all through Man Year.

I love you!
pz

Denise said...

bifurcation!

love how josh's heart is being lead in truth, and how he is embracing that truth. i pray the "truth that has been revealed to him will not be taken from him or his children's children."

Steve said...

So good! Keep up the good work of raising a man who loves
Jesus and walks with honor!

Laura said...

i just put my boys on a plane...please pick them up and raise them.
thank you

Sandy said...

I never dreamed the Prodigal Son would leave me laughing, but this is so funny.

Then of course, I ended up crying. I love how you all are doing Man Year together and I'm learning right along with you.

Josh's tender heart is just sooooo precious. I remember when you were young, Linda, and I thought you would end up being a missionary in Africa. Well, guess what, you're a missionary in Arroyo Grande, CA., along with your wonderful husband.

Does Josh want to go to Africa by any chance?

Cassi Brightforest said...

The comic strip was great! I loved it.

Ashley said...

Oh my goodness this is so cute! I don't have kids yet, but I love the idea of having them act out Bible stories! It looks like they had a ton of doing it :)

Also, great post on repentance. Sometimes it's hard to remember that God knows what is best for us. Great reminder.

And thanks for visiting The Cream to My Coffee :)

Jen W said...

Your Man Year is such an amazing idea, and it's so cool to read about how you are implementing it and how Josh is responding to it.

And I laughed out loud at the Prodigal Son story comic. You've got a hammy family -- including the dog. Is that Sophie playing the fatted calf? LOL

Jodi said...

#1 - you guys are awesome.
#2 - I want to know how to make cool collages like that!

Heather said...

Linda, You are the cutest mom, ever!! I love that you guys did this with your boys and then put it in a comic strip form. So clever!! I want to do this with my boys too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...