Friday, June 8, 2012

Delighted

A couple of weeks ago, we were driving up to visit Denise's family for "Macaytion."  I think my brain is still in Bass Lake.  I feel like the past couple weeks have rushed by in a flurry of end-of-the-year school activities.  I am catching my breath this afternoon and reflecting.

Last night as I was singing "I Love You So Much" to my little J-bear, I was thinking about how much I delight in my children.  Sometimes we get angry and frustrated with each other.  Other times, I have to discipline them, and although necessary, it isn't fun for anyone.  But for the most part, I really delight in my children.  I like encouraging them and cuddling them and getting to know the people whom God created them to be.  I love to celebrate their achievements and divide their sorrows.  Sometimes on the way down the hall, when I am headed for bed, I stop and look at the kids' photos on the wall and I say, "I really like our kids."  And Patrick says, "Ya, me, too."  And then I go in and kiss them and make sure they are still breathing... I still do that, even though they haven't been in a crib for years.


One of the things I love the most about Denise and her husband, Michael, is that they delight in their children, too.  Noah, Emilie, and Josie have been loved and encouraged and enjoyed.  Their parents are purposeful about it.  I can just tell. There is love and joy in Josie's eyes, tenderness and warmth in Emilie's heart, and a steadfastness and strength in Noah's character.  They have been delighted in a lot.


Aren't they all so cute there, chillin' on the couch with their blankets in the morning?


They are pretty cute on a boat, too.

Jason followed Noah's lead and tried out the knee board.
He is 6 (almost 7) and he loves to try new things.
Sometimes it scares me, but I also love his adventurous spirit.
His happy, fun-loving attitude makes me smile.
I like that about Jason.

video

Josh has always been more cautious.  
He kind of regrets that he didn't try kneeboarding.
But he did try fishing, and he jumped off the boat in the upper right... TWICE.
I like that he knows himself and what he wants to try.
I like that he is not easily talked into anything... 
and that when he's ready, he's ready.
He's solid and when he decides to try something, he really sets his mind to doing a great job.
I like that about Josh.

One morning at Bass Lake I read Psalm 28.  I love verses 8 and 9.

The Lord is the strength of his people;
    he is the saving refuge of his anointed.
Oh, save your people and bless your heritage!
     Be their shepherd and carry them forever.

I love that our children are a heritage from the Lord.
And I love that He delights in us and sings over us.

It is amazing to me to think that the Lord delights in me as I delight in my own children.
Yes, He disciplines me as a good parent should, but He is also happy to call me His child.

My son, do not despise the Lord's discipline
    or be weary of his reproof,
for the Lord reproves him whom he loves,
    as a father the son in whom he delights.
Proverbs 3:11-12 

The Lord your God is with you,
    the Mighty Warrior who saves.
He will take great delight in you;
    in his love he will no longer rebuke you,
    but will rejoice over you with singing.
Zephaniah 3:17 

I am glad to have such a good heavenly Father.
I am so thankful that I am delighted in... it's almost too much to even grasp.
It makes me feel like smiling and dancing.


video

(Do you like Denise's commentary?)


7 comments:

Laura said...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Denise was on maycation with YOU???????????????????????????????????????

I AM JEALOUS

SO jealous

good grief, where are my good, faith filled, loving, funny, smart and adorable friends to take ME on a maycation??????????


I loved this post....and I DID love Denise's commentary...loved hearing the VOICES behind the words I DELIGHT in :-)

now, I do not know either one of you...
but it shows in your pictures and words
you can SEE the delight
SEE the goodness

I don't think I have been the best at this...the delighting in my children, part
it is hard to write that...
I love them to no end
i would die without them
but our ride has not been smooth here..
and teenage years have kicked my butt and caused many many tears
and of course, as a mom, i blame MYSELF for everything...

i love this post and i needed to read this and this is going to my morning prayer...
to ask God to help me to delight in my children more, just as HE delights in me

glad you had a great time!
next year, invite me, ok???

Susan said...

That video is HILARIOUS!! Love the commentary. Oh yeah!
Their place looks so cozy.

Denise said...

"i love you so much. i love you so much. i just cannot tell you how much i love you..."

are we the only two people on the face of the earth that know and still sing this song?

we are cut from the same nov. 16th cloth. weird huh!?

you bless me.

i saw that you delight in your children, too! like you, i could see it in your boys... see it in the temperature of your family. because of that our family felt very much at home with your family.

my posts are coming soon. there is so much to "unpack" emotionally, relationally, and so many photos to edit!

"i just cannot tell you how much i love you," friend!

Sandy said...

You guys...Zalamea's and Jones'...delight my heart. I can only imagine how much you must delight the heart of God.

This post actually had me all teary eyed again...nothing new there...you are just such good people, and I'm so glad that your two families got along so well...but then, why wouldn't you...Linda and Denise are twins separated at birth in my estimation.

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

Cassi Brightforest said...

Oh it looks like you guys had soo much fun.

Tamera Beardsley said...

I was on Denise's blog today....shocked to see YOU! Wow, what a small blogging world! I can see why you both would be fast friends....you are both amazing and inspirational!

Megan, The Frugalista Diaries said...

so much fun and adorableness
Xo Megan

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...