Monday, April 9, 2012

How Does She Do It?



A few weeks ago, I watched a movie called I Don't Know How She Does It with Sarah Jessica Parker, Greg Kinnear, and Pierce Brosnan.  Have you seen it?  I hadn't even heard of it coming out in the theaters.

Anyway, it's about a wife/mother/career woman that's trying to do it all or have it all... or both.  It's a comedy of sorts, so the characters are a bit exaggerated, making it easy to start judging the different characters based on their life choices.  There were Martha Stewart kinds of moms, moms trying to run in the rat race, PTA moms, single women who didn't want to be moms, and on it goes.  Sarah Jessica Parker's character, Kate is trying desperately to climb the corporate ladder while simultaneously juggling her relationship with her husband, as well as her children's school activities and birthday parties.




By the middle of the movie, things begin to unravel pretty badly in Kate's life.  There are just too many balls to keep up in the air, and her relationship with her husband really begins to suffer.  She just can't do it all and keep everyone happy, including herself.

This movie made me think of that Proverbs 31 woman who is so often revered.  She is the Super Woman of the Bible, I suppose, and sometimes she makes me just want to throw my hands up.  The thing is, she is not necessarily an actual woman.  She is more of a composite or description of godly character traits in a woman/wife/mother.  Someone to be inspired by.  A wise friend of mine once said that you can be the Proverbs 31 woman (in God's strength, of course), but not necessarily all at the same time.  Doesn't that provide a sense of relief?  These attributes and endeavors can be developed over a lifetime... in seasons, some overlapping and some not.




Personally, it comforts me to know that I don't have to do it all and be all of these things right at this very moment or even by next year.  I am in a season of my life which actually prevents me from being even half of what the Proverbs 31 woman is.

I suppose I am writing all this simply to encourage women whether they are single, married, moms, single-moms, or a combination of any of the above to support one another.  None of us is Super Woman.  We are all trying to do the best we can to make good choices for ourselves, our careers, our marriages, and our families.  Instead of comparing ourselves to each other... "I don't want to be 'that' kind of woman," or "she just seems to have everything so together," we need to get each others' backs, don't we?  We need to make an effort to understand one another and the reasons we make the choices we do.  We need to pray for one another, encourage one another, and build one another up daily in love.  Then we can help each other to make wise choices and support one another without passing judgments based on stereotypes or only seeing part of the picture. 


If we could do it all and have it all at once, we'd essentially be God! 

Isn't it a relief not to have to be God?


11 comments:

Jodi said...

It IS a relief and what a great reminder! I am encouraged greatly by the thought that about the Prov 31 description is something to be obtained over time and not all at once! Thank you for this :)

Cassi Brightforest said...

What a good thought on that description. Very inspiring to know that its not needed right this minute

CoachZ said...

Great post! I think in general it is good to not have to be God, just ourselves and where we are at. Love you!!

Charissa Steyn said...

Beautiful words...hate playing the comparison game, but i do it so often. so so so thankful for this reminder that I do not have to be it all!

Susan Liberatore said...

Yes, it IS a relief. And the details in this post are exactly what made me leave my corporate job. I just couldn't "do it all" anymore and honestly...most of the pressure was put on me by myself. My worst critic.

TDM Wendy said...

One thing to keep in mind about that Proverbs 31 gal "She had servant girls." If i had them I'm sure I could keep up with P31.

Sandy said...

Amen! Good post.

I have a confession to make. Until a while ago when you pointed out to me that the Proverbs 31 woman was not what I had thought she was . . . one incredibly talented and perfect super-woman . . . I really disliked her!!! I compared myself to her and REALLY came up short. Now I have to laugh at myself for not being more discerning when reading my Bible. :o)

Tamera Beardsley said...

Well said Linda!

Cindy said...

What you have said here is very true, we can't be the superwoman that Proverbs talks about, none of us are made that way. And it's different for every season that we are in, thank the Lord for that.
Thanks for the encouragement!
Hugs, Cindy

Heather said...

You make such a valid point, and yes, it is a relief to not be God. I am of the thought that we women are sisters and need to love and support one another, rather than compare. Comparison is the thief of joy.

Rachael said...

I saw this movie with some other mums from my son's school and felt we really related to some parts but I don't think our house/ clothes etc is quite as glam!Rx

http://sandersonsmithstory.blogspot.co.uk

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...