Thursday, March 8, 2012

A Brazzle Dazzle Day



The last couple of weeks a mighty fierce virus rampaged our household and took us all down.  Every family member had slightly different symptoms.  I won't bore you with the long list of mine that changed from day to day, but at the end I got a little bit of laryngitis.

I kind of love it when I lose my voice.  Is that weird?  Not when it's gone completely, but when it is just starting to go or just starting to come back.  I like to sing with my raspy voice, because then I can do my best Helen Reddy imitation.  And that gives me very good memories.

When I was growing up, I absolutely loved Pete's Dragon.  I went to a screening on the Disney lot and I was completely enchanted by it.   I decided right then that I was going to marry Sean Marshall, who played Pete, so I wrote him a letter and he wrote me back and sent me his head shots and everything.  I still have the letter... and the head shots.  I must have really dug the bowl cut and cute dimple.




My dad bought me the album and I would sit and listen to it through his big headphones, looking at all the photos, reliving the movie, as I learned every lyric.  We loved Candle on the Water and I would secretly get so excited when I lost my voice so I could sing it like her.




I also tried to sound like Barbara Mandrell when I had a raspy, sick voice.  Do you remember that variety show she used to have?  It was so silly, and dad and I would love to watch that together, too.

So funny the memories that laryngitis can trigger, isn't it?  I'm glad to be remembering these things about my dad.  He has been so sweet, caring for my family and my mom who has been suffering from shingles the past couple weeks.  He has a servant's heart and we all love and appreciate him so much.




Here is a little Helen Reddy, Pete's Dragon snippet for Dad... some Candle on the Water.  

Yes, I actually recorded myself.  I sounded a lot more Helen Reddy a couple days ago when my voice was raspier, but I started in the middle of the song where I feel the most Helen.  I also messed up on a couple words, because I memorized it wrong when I was 7 or so... but hey, it's my best impression! I haven't recorded myself in years... kind of a trip messing around trying to figure out Garage Band and SoundCloud.com.  I really can't believe I'm posting this... but here we go.  I'm not the "best singer in the world" like Celine Dion or anything, but I do love to sing... and I always have.


14 comments:

Megan said...

Your voice is beautiful! You should post more songs :)

Cassi Brightforest said...

That is awesome. I so wish I could sing.
I always think of the Friends episode when I have a scratchy voice. "Pheobe's sexy voice" lol..
I hope you and yours feel better soon.

CoachZ said...

I'm pretty much going to listen to this on loop all day long! I love your voice and I love you!!!

Marion said...

That is your voice?! Um, WOW! You seriously have a gorgeous sound...I agree with the comments above that you should post more songs!!

And I secretly like it also when my voice gets a little raspy. Adds character :-)
XO - Marion

CharityLiz said...

Omigosh Linda!!!! This is amazing!!! I had no idea you are a singer. Your voice is beautiful & I love that you figured out a way to share that little tidbit on your blog!

Megan, The Frugalista Diaries said...

I was so obsessed with pete's dragon, good times!

Denise said...

pretty.

i am too young for pete's dragon..probably because i am in my 30's. :-)

Iris (Schmooel) said...

You have a beautiful voice...

I found your blog just now from my own, thegirlwearingmudboots.blogspot.com

I'll be reading yours frequently! :)

God bless.

Flor said...

wait, what?? oh my goodness, you have a BEAUTIFUL voice!! wow, i'm so impressed! and i totally agree, you should post more song snippets for us to enjoy :)
xoxo

two birds said...

what a beautiful voice! my goodness...you need to post more songs!

Susan said...

OMG!
Stop it. You said you loved to sing, you never said you were so good at it!
More please. Amazing.

Susan said...

And btw, i sound just like Kathleen Turner (remember her?!) when im sick. It's all very Romancing the Stone.

Jodi said...

Wow your voice is gorgeous!!! I have this song memorized too, when I was 16 I bought a disney greatest hits cd and still have it to this day... my kids now love it too :)

The Schmidts said...

Oh, how fun it was to listen to you sing! I love Pete's Dragon and I love hearing you sing. Beautiful! -Rhiannon

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...