Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Romantic Banter

A couple days ago I Facebook linked to an interesting and helpful article on parenting.  An old friend (as in longtime, not old... well, he's our elder, so he's kind of old)  of ours who happens to be a newlywed (as in just married in November) reposted the article.  I was curious as to why.

The following conversation ensued.

Me:  You studying up there, Mike? :)

Patrick:  Time to get going there, bud...

Me:  I was trying to be more subtle...

Patrick:  I was trying to be more direct. ;-)

Me:  My way might have been better.

        I'm enjoying this early Monday morning banter. A lot. :)

Patrick:  Does that mean what I think it means?

Me:  You can infer what you would like, but not in front of the children, Mr. Cunningham.

Patrick:  Mmmm Frisky...

Mike:  You guys are too much.
            And by 'too much' I mean, awesome.    

Maybe this conversation is a bit much for Facebook or a bit much for my blog.  If so, you can just tell us to get a room, and I'll understand.  And I will... get a room, that is.

But, seriously, I do think it is really important for married people to be playful.  Life gets hard, and oftentimes marriage can take the brunt of it, because it is our closest, most intimate relationship.  Our conversations end up revolving around school choices for the kids, meal plans, doctors appointments, crises, and finances.   

In the midst of all that, I think we sometimes forget to enjoy one another.  To play.  To banter and laugh and smile.   It is such a good thing to delight in one another and find joy in the relationship.  To revisit and rekindle old romantic feelings and the playfulness and enjoyment of friendship.  It's good not to let it get buried in the day to day.

So don't forget to play today! 

 

9 comments:

Shanna said...

You are so right on!

xoxo, Shanna

CoachZ said...

You had me at banter... ;-)

Cassi said...

oh I love this good reminder

cate @ wild ruffle said...

Oh, so important to delight in each other - and to let your kids see that delight!

Susan said...

You are so right! Ha!

Heather said...

A great reminder. Yes, indeed, playful banter or just being playful is healthy. And it's important for our kids to see that mom & dad are affectionate towards one another.

Denise said...

been caught up in the day to day instead of in my man, and i feel it. miss him.
turning the banter on.

hannah singer said...

amen. holla for banter.
i love your gentle reminders of what's important.
love you!
now, get a room! xo

Tamera Beardsley said...

Thanks for such a very important reminder Linda!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...