Monday, December 12, 2011

Three Little Birds

Scaling the Mountain: Part 3


My Journey to Charis has been a long one.  I continue the journey, seeking to thrive in God's grace and mercy towards me... to find my strength in Him.  Along the way, I have been dealing with so many issues with my body, they can't really even be categorized as a single illness.  Adrenal insufficiency, Hashimoto's thyroiditis, allergies, leaky gut syndrome, autoimmune issues, systemic viral activity, neurological imbalances, heart inconsistencies, chronic fatigue, chronic headaches, hormonal imbalances, clinical depression and anxiety.  Try wrapping that all up into one nice, tidy little diagnosis!  I tell people I have a polyglandular autoimmune disorder, just to attempt to give it some type of neat label.

Last spring, in the midst of my greatest season of suffering, God began to send me birds.  I often spent my days in bed during those months.  It was then that I began to notice a little hummingbird outside my window.  It would vigorously flap it's little wings darting around among the delicate stalks of my lavender bush, taking it's fill of nectar before darting away as quickly as it had come.  I began to watch for it every day, and relished seeing it's beauty so close, just beyond the pane of glass.

Not too long after, I began to notice a common gray and brown sparrow at the sliding glass door at the back of the house.  He would tap on the glass with his sharp little beak, as if to ask for an invitation inside.  As I came to the door, he would cock his head to the side and watch me with his tiny, dark eyes.  Hello, I would respond, and watch him in return.  Then he would hop, hop and flutter away.

Before long, at the other end of the house, I began to notice the rapid flutter of wings and an accompanying bird cheep every time the front door was opened.  With great vocal discord, she would sit on the roof cheeping until we closed the door again.  We discovered she had built a little nest covered within the branches of a topiary we had at our front door.  She filled the nest with eggs, and was lovingly caring for them.  One day, she actually flew in the house itself.  My brother-in-law tenderly caught her and held her.  He carefully gave her to Jason and he, in turn, lifted his chubby five year old hands above his head, her wings tickling his fingers, and let her fly free.

We have never had quite such an encampment of birds surrounding our home.  I began to watch for them, and enjoy their frequent comings and goings.

One day, I was once again in bed, and I began to hear the sweet strains of a song I had not heard before.  Jason had learned it at school for a folk program.  Go sing that to your mom, Patrick urged him.  His feet came happily padding down the hallway and he announced that he had a song to sing.

Don't worry about a thing,
'Cause every little thing gonna be all right.
Singin': "Don't worry about a thing,
'Cause every little thing gonna be all right!"


Rise up this mornin',
Smiled with the risin' sun,
Three little birds
Pitch by my doorstep
Singin' sweet songs
Of melodies pure and true,
Sayin', "This is my message to you-ou-ou"


Singin': "Don't worry 'bout a thing,
'Cause every little thing gonna be all right."
Singin': "Don't worry (don't worry) 'bout a thing,
'Cause every little thing gonna be all right!"


Tears began to stream down my face as my baby boy sang to me in his pure, sweet voice.  I knew that simple phrase "every little thing gonna be all right" was a message straight from the Lord.  He had brought it to our doorstep the first time through Menachem's visit.  Now, He was reminding me, through the visits of all these tiny birds and my son's music, that He hadn't forgotten His promise to me.  Everything would be ok in His timing.  The darkness would not last forever.

That song has since become an anthem in our home.  My sons sing it to me to remind me that God has a plan.  My husband notices it on the radio and reminds me that Jesus is giving us a gift.

Even on my most trying days, I have the reminder that every little thing is gonna be all right.  He will make things right... perhaps different than they once were, but right according to His plan.  He cares about every little thing.

8 comments:

CoachZ said...

Crying at my desk again! SO SO important to EXPERIENCE Jesus as He is. More important that Bible verses or for sure religion or works!

He is ALWAYS there...so awesome!

I love you hon! Glad to experience Jesus together!!!

mom/popfoote said...

It reminds me of the verse "Be Still and Know that I AM God". When we are the most still, He can show us the most. You are greatly loved Linda, I look forward to your posts.

Shanna said...

I really do understand where you are coming from... This past year has been a hard one. I keep telling my husband, what have you gotten yourself into. I seem to be falling apart, and every time I turn around something new seems to be knocking at my door. The doctors keep telling me that most people that have what I have end up getting a divorce because the husband/wife can't handle it. And it scares me to death. I thank God every night, and pray that he keeps my family together. Great post!
xoxo, Shanna

Cassi said...

I love that he sang you a song. It's amazing when God works through the kids to show us messages

Andee Eve@ bearing fruit said...

entertaining angels...i just read your menachem post. wow.
God loves you so much my friend!
so much!
you encourage me with your ways...always looking up, to Him. one thing I know for sure, DaddyGod's got your back girl!
xoxo
andee

hannah singer said...

oh, Linda. so thankful for your heart, the learning you share. blessed by you. SO blessed and encouraged. praying for you and wishing you a sweet night.

xo

Tamera Beardsley said...

Linda...I so love your posts...that you are willing to share your heart and soul so fully...sending you much love my dear.

TDM Wendy said...

awesome. love this.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...