Saturday, December 24, 2011

His Marvelous Light



"Light of the world,
You came down into darkness,
Opened my eyes,
Let me see..."

For my birthday, my parents gave me a light scoop for my camera.  You see, I love how light is used in capturing images, but I hate flash photography.  I don't like the glare that the light casts on people.  It gives people demon red eyes and highlights people's flaws.  The idea of a light scoop is to affix a mirrored attachment to the flash.  The light then bounces off the mirror, onto the ceiling and diffuses the light, so that the photo is illuminated, but natural looking.  The harsh flash is softened and complements the person you are capturing on film.

"But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light." 1 Peter 2:9 

I love that Jesus came as light in our dark world... to call us out of the darkness of our sin.  And I don't think He came to shine a glaring light on us... to humiliate us, but instead to humble us and call us into His healing and holiness.  

Sometimes His light in our lives is powerful, like a bolt of lightening.  
Sometimes it shines His glory through our cracked and broken vessels.  
Sometimes it is softly reflected in His creation.  
Sometimes it illuminates in the form of truth and grace.  
Sometimes it is a sharp laser of conviction. 
Sometimes it brings healing to our wounds like the sun.  
Sometimes it purifies like a fire.

Jesus is radiant.
"In him was life, and the life was the light of men.
The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it."
John 1:4-5
This Christmas, I am exceedingly thankful for the light of Jesus.  Pushing away the darkness in my life.  Illuminating my dark corners.  Continuing to lead me into His glorious light.

I pray you know His light, friends.  That His brilliance is reflected in you in the year to come.  Like the moon reflects the sun.  That He shines through your cracks, brings healing to your wounds, and purifies your hearts.

Shine, Lord Jesus, Shine.

 

3 comments:

Sandy said...

When things seem the darkest, He mercifully surprises me with His light. He tenderly brings the light of His Truth back into my life. And always shows me His beautiful world in a new way . . . and adds some humor for good measure.

Flor said...

oh Linda, this just brought tears to my eyes. I love how you said: "I love that Jesus came as light in our dark world... to call us out of the darkness of our sin.... His healing and holiness."
I am so thanksful for His light as well.

(You have such a gift with words, God is surely pleased with you!)

Cassi said...

Oh I love this post. I hope you and yours had a merry Christmas. Great gift a light scoop! Can't wait to see how the family picture turned out with the new scoop

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...