Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Healthy Donuts

because I feel terrible, and  I need to laugh today.


This week has been hideous.  That is the clinical term.  I have a case of hideous that no one can seem to find the right treatment for.   Not even a prescription for more cowbell is going to cure it.

I have a friend who reminds me I need to laugh when the hideous gets this severe.  She reminded me again a couple of days ago.

There's nothing to laugh about, though.  Nothing.  It's all hideous, you know.

And then an old memory came to mind.

A couple summers ago, I was all bent out of shape because of a particular situation I had no control over.  It had to do with what I felt was bureaucracy and and injustice, and I was in a really bad mood about it, especially because it affected me so personally.  I was all perturbed and stressed out.

I happened to be on the way home from the library the day the frustration really peaked.  There is a huge vacant lot on the way home that's usually used for event parking.

It called to me...


And I turned in.

I'm not sure what came over me at that point, but I started doing donuts in the dirt and gravel.  Big billows of dust began swirling around me like my own personal tornado.  I began to laugh so hysterically, I cried.

Finally, I stopped.  Wasn't that awesome, I asked my kids, who were playing their Game Boys in the very back of the van.

What? they replied.  They hadn't even noticed my vehicular maneuvers and my sweet display of momentary insanity.

I just did donuts in the vacant lot, I said incredulously.

You're so weird, mom.

That's right, I replied.  So put down the video games, cause we're going to have a second round.

So off we went again with the 360's until Josh noticed a county vehicle barreling down the hill in the distance.

Uh, mom... I think you'd better leave now.

The county worker obviously thought I was some teenager who'd absconded with their mom's sweet van to go for a joy ride.  But there was no way he was going to put a damper on my hilarity and stress relieving endeavors.  So I pulled out of the vacant lot and drove home in a fit of laughter.

I just asked Josh if he remembered that day.

Yes, he said, grinning.  Mom, maybe you need to go to the library today.

Maybe.

I might just have to return some hideous and take care of some overdue laughter.



Strength and dignity are her clothing, 
and she laughs at the time to come.
Proverbs 31:25

13 comments:

cate said...

Oh, I could use a day of doing donuts. And that verse? One of my faves.

CoachZ said...

Love it! Love you!

Sandy said...

That's hilarious. I wish I'd been in your van that day too.

Susan said...

Girl! I wish I would have been in that van. Sometimes...that kind of thing makes you feel so alive.
I pray that you're finding peace. With or without the donuts.

Ryan and Camille said...

That's great Linda! Maybe Ill have to try it sometime on a bad day... I wonder how a prius would do...

Jodi said...

Love this. Sorry about the hideous. MORE COWBELL!! (I just like to say it ;)

Megan said...

I'll have to remember this next time I'm having a bad day... rather than relying on the bad donuts.

I hope you're doing ok and that you have a nice weekend :)

Cassi said...

I loved this post. What a constructive way to handle it.
Laughter is always good medicine

Denise said...

yes, you MUST go do donuts.

can i ride with you. please!?!

you reminded me of a day when i was 19 and heartbroken. a friend of mine {who a few months later ditched this earth for heaven} invited me to get in her car in the vacant lot across from where we were chatting. i thought we were going to sit there and talk. nope. donuts. donuts. laughter. tears and laughter. felt like i could breath again.

i need to come do donuts with you.

Tamera Beardsley said...

Such a beautiful post ...so sorry o hear things are bad...sending you love and prayer my dear one.

Tamera Beardsley said...

Hi my dear, just stopping by to say I was thinking of you....sending love.

hannah singer said...

you are a delight!!! ;)

praying your fresh new week is amazing and joy filled. xo

Chelsea said...

Haha I'm just laughing reading that! Hope you find some joy in the hideous!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...