Wednesday, November 2, 2011

The Writer of my Days



For you formed my inward parts;
   you knitted me together in my mother’s womb.

I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. 
Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well.

  My frame was not hidden from you,when I was being made in secret,
   intricately woven in the depths of the earth.

Your eyes saw my unformed substance;
in your book were written, every one of them,
   the days that were formed for me,
   when as yet there was none of them.

I recently read these verses from Psalm 139.  Familiar verses I have read many time before, but this time they took on new meaning for me.  I began to think about them a lot.  And I came to a realization.

It takes only 9 months for God to form us in His image,
but it takes an entire lifetime for Him to conform us to His likeness.

Both are rather miraculous...  the God of the universe forming and conforming us. It is easier for me to see the miracle of a baby formed in God's image,  but I tend to get caught up in trials, and it's harder to see the miracle of God's conforming hand.  I become overwhelmed with the pain of trials, frustrated by the ways they seem to hold me back, and I question God's purposes in them.  I forget that when He was forming me, He was also writing out my days.  He formed me and knows my character intimately.  

He knows what kind of days I will need.  

Days that He will use to conform me more and more into His likeness.


Days that will teach me patience and compassion, 

goodness and faithfulness, 

humility and love.  

Days to cultivate His beauty in me.  

Days to cultivate joy in all circumstances.  

Days to garner gratitude and praise and generosity.

Days to grow forgiveness and mercy and grace. 


He has a whole book of days written for me.

And He has a whole book of days written for you.

What has the Author written in your book today? 

6 comments:

Erica.Michelle. said...

Ah love this. So true. So true.

Sandy said...

Surely you must bless the very heart of God. That you could even write this when you have been going through a particularly painful week is beyond comprehension.

Thank you for these words. I needed to hear them for a myriad of reasons. And I am grateful that even in your most difficult of times you can see His good and perfect hand in it all.

I love you.
Mom

Flor said...

Linda, you are such a blessing to me! You have the gift of words, you truly do! I love your perspective on scripture and how explain your thoughts so perfectly. Psalm 139 is one of my favorites!

Nav said...

god bless your heart. I have feeling down lately and reading this was so awesome! Thank you!!

xo Nav
http://navlandstyle.blogspot.com/

cate said...

That is really beautiful. I love thinking about how He is cultivating His beauty in me - as a style blogger I often have to remind myself of finding the balance between who the Lord has called me to be, and loving all things fashion related. I want His beauty to be the first thing people see.

nicole aka gidget said...

Love this, Linda- I had never thought about that time comparison before!
xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...