Monday, October 10, 2011

New Tricks


They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks.  But I don't think that's true.  I like the idea of learning new tricks.

The older I get, the more I think I don't have the capacity to learn new tricks, but it's entirely possible if I just try.  In this past decade I have learned to play the guitar a bit and to play piano by ear (instead of just reading the music).  I took up photography.   Last year I learned to crochet some pretty complicated things like hats and flowers and blankets. 

It feels good to do something different... to grow and learn in I way I hadn't imagined I could.  I tend to want to try new things in fall.  I never make New Year's resolutions, because I know I would never keep them for more than a week.  To me, fall is always the time for fresh beginnings... when I feel ready to take on a new challenge and stretch myself a bit.

So here's the new trick I'm going to attempt!

In the past 24 hours, God has led me to Romans 8 on three occasions through 3 different sources.  Usually it takes 3 times with me.  The first time I don't listen very well.  The second time, I consider looking into it.  By the third time, I know I'd better check it out, lest I get whacked over the head.

My friend said that she had actually memorized the entire chapter of Romans 8, and that it was so good for so many things.  Wow, that's incredible, I thought.  But I immediately wrote off trying to do that myself, even though I'd always wanted to memorize a big portion of scripture.  She's got a decade and a half on me... younger minds can retain better, I reasoned.

The more I thought about it this morning, the more I realized I really want to try this.  I might fail miserably, but I want to see if I can do it... to hide that much of God's word in my heart.  To see how it will change me.  I want this to be my new fall challenge.  Anyone want to join me?  Have you every tried this before?  Do you have tips?  I'll put the verses over in the sidebar as I'm learning them.  Hopefully I'll keep myself accountable that way.


Have you learned anything new lately?  
Is there a new trick you'd like to learn this fall?

4 comments:

Heather said...

It always happens in 3's :)
I love this new fall challenge of yours. I am going to learn a new trick... I am taking a class on Saturday to learn how to cut hair. I just may be giving my boys haircuts from now on. Maybe. We'll see how it goes.

hannah singer said...

linda! love this post.
i was in romans 8 yesterday.
love it!!
i am learning everything, it seems. such a time of being molded for me. whew! praise jesus he is leading the way, because i am impatient, and at times faithless.

pressing on! xo

Jen said...

Kudos to you! I can't even remember what I fed the kids for lunch, let alone memorize an entire chapter of the Bible.

Hmmm...learned anything new? I decided to learn how to fix a broken clock. Ordered replacement parts and they're on their way :)

Which means I may not remember much and now I may never be on time!

Linda Z said...

Jen... it hasn't happened yet!! I may or may not achieve this feat, but at least I want to try.

You get a hall pass on memorizing pretty much anything until your kids are at least 5!! Until then, the toddlers suck some of your brain cells. :)

I want to hear how your clock comes out and see how your living room is coming alont, too. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...