Thursday, September 29, 2011

God Dreams & Dish Towels

May he grant you your heart’s desire 
and fulfill all your plans!
Psalm 20:4

I have a dear friend who has been in the valley this past year along with me.  Our valleys have resulted from completely different circumstances, but so many of the accompanying feelings of pain have been so similar.  There has been comfort in sharing our stories, praying for one another and looking for God's light in the midst of the darkness that we often found ourselves in.

Last week, I was at Marshalls making a return, and God put it on my heart to buy something for my friend's new condo.  I kept coming back to dish towels for some reason... but those are so utilitarian, I thought.  Then I saw a little stack of 5 towels all bundled up in little squares.  They were in pretty fall colors, but the stripes on them reminded me of Guatemala.  

It was then that God put another little thought on my heart.  My friend had been on a missions trip to Guatemala many years ago, and I felt like God was putting it on my heart to tell her to start dreaming again... to dream God dreams.  He has plans for her beyond this past year.

So I bought the towels... and I went to her condo.

I got you some towels for your new place, I said, handing her the neat little stack.

Yay! I was just thinking that I wanted new towels.  My towels are looking so sad, she said, as she pulled an old towel out of the drawer and pointed to its faded, shredded border.  I didn't think I should spend money on something like that, but I really wanted some, she added.

There's more, I replied, smiling.  This is kind of weird, but they reminded me of Guatemala, and I think God wants me to tell you to start dreaming big God dreams again.

She looked at the tag... but they are from India, she noticed.

I know.  But they reminded me of Guatemala.

But I was praying the other day, and God put India on my heart.  I was asking Him if He wanted me to go there someday, she grinned.

Wow, I had no idea what God was going to do with a set of kitchen towels!  My friend texted me the other day and told me how she smiles every time she sees them.

I can't wait to see what the future holds for her as she climbs out of the valley and up to the mountain top with Jesus by her side.

Has God nudged you to do anything in His still small voice lately?  
Are you dreaming any big God dreams?

8 comments:

Charissa Steyn said...

This is a beautiful little story!! So encouraging...thank you for sharing about your step of faith!

Two Cent Sparrow said...

I love this. I love the way God works in our lives through our earthly relationships. He is so Awesome! And you are a good friend. :)

CoachZ said...

It is really sexy when you converse with God...

Denise said...

first, your husbands comment is s'weet!

next. this has me BIG smiling in the soul. so God. so God.

God does have me dreaming. i should talk to you about it. we should talk.
i'm afraid to be a dreamer. i'm afraid not to be a dreamer.

hannah singer said...

wow! this blesses me! thanks for sharing, linda!

i am dreaming big just recently. was reminded the other day that i ought to be expecting god to hear me when i pray...because he does!! expect great things from god and accomplish great things for him!! xo

love ya!

Maria said...

This gave me chills when I read it, Linda. What a blessing. I love how you not only listened but obeyed and bought the towels. Love when Jesus puts stuff on our hearts and we actually listen! xoxo

Jen said...

This teared me up. It's hard for me to be so far away- so I'm thankful you are close by. Thank you.

Heather said...

Wow! I love how God works. I have often been told that sometimes when we pray for answers to questions, often times God answers our prayers through others. On that same note, just recently I was in Sunday School and we had a discussion on this, and the more we heed those voices and obey the more God will trust us to be an instrument in His hands.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...