Thursday, August 25, 2011

The Jonah Test

(All photos taken by my boys.)

Years ago, I went on a hunt for a special picture Bible for Josh.  I wanted it to be detailed, but not so detailed that he couldn't carry the emotional load.  My test was the book of Jonah.  I would take each Bible and read through the story.  I wanted to see both the good and difficult in the story... lessons in obedience, God's grace, redemption as well as the parts where the humanity of Jonah comes through.  Remember the end when he's complaining about the lack of shade?  Life's just not easy when pesky worms gnaw through your plant.

A couple weeks ago, my kids got to participate in a horse camp... and it was one of those activities that definitely passed the "Jonah Test."  




The boys got some amazing time learning to ride these beautiful animals.   By the end of the week they had fallen in love with their new four legged friends, and cried when they had to say goodbye.  That was the good part... the part that came easily.  The part that was relished.





But their week didn't consist only of the "fun."  They got to see what it would be like to actually own horses.  They fed them, groomed them and cleaned their hooves.  And they scooped a lot of horse poop.  I think it was such a good, comprehensive experience.  

Isn't life like that?  You have to take the difficult with the good.  I often get too focused on the difficult parts, but you know what?  Sometimes, you have to scoop a little poop to get to do the things you really love... and it's all so worth it to get to relish the really good parts in the end.

So if there's a moral to this story...

it's 'scoop the poop,' but then take the time to truly ride like the wind. 

 

6 comments:

Shanna said...

That is so true...

Chic Homeschool Mama said...

What a great post! It's good to step into something that makes your mind sort of check out from all the things that weigh us down. I often take my kids to a friends place & let them help with the horses. It keeps my daughter from asking me for one & lets them do chores other than the ones they get here.

CoachZ said...

Great post hon! I wish we could have been there while they road...so cute!

Heather said...

I love this - the Jonah test... and how cool is it that they went to horse camp?!

Jen said...

Okay, with two young kids currently in diapers, I've scooped my fair share of poop the past couple of years! I definitely take time to ride like the wind- otherwise, how else would I be able to get up the next morning and scoop more poop with a smile and a laugh?

hannah singer said...

ok. these photos are beautiful. go boys!

and this post. also beautiful and very timely.
thanks so much!
(and we adore the Jesus Storybook Bible)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...