Monday, June 6, 2011

A Mini Affair

My Mini, the Summer of 2010

This may be the most controversial post I have ever written.
Are you ready? Can you handle the drama? Sparks may fly... I've duly warned you.

I would like to admit right here and now, in this public forum, that I LOVE my mini van.

Scandalous in this day and age, no? How could I cheat on the mindset of the modern mom?

I know it's hard to believe, but it's true. I love her. Let me count the ways...


I love driving my kids around in her, listening to their silly conversations and giggles.

I love driving a load of their classmates and telling them to "be quiet and think light" as I try to make it out of a driveway without bottoming out on the hitch, and then laughing hysterically when we hear the "scraaaaape!"

I love loading her up with mountain bikes and canoe equipment and heading out for an amazing, outdoor family adventure.

I love the looks we get on the freeway when we do this!

I love clearing out the back and sitting criss-cross applesauce on a blanket, eating Costco pizza, listening to the wind blow outside, while we are in our safe little den.

I love it when we fold all the back seats in, blow up a queen size mattress, heap on a mountain of fuzzy blankets and pillows and camp out at the SLO drive-in. We park backwards, flip the hood and have a 2 hour family cuddle.

I love her fourteen cupholders. Enough said.

I also love automatically opening her side door across the parking lot, so she'll be a tad cooler when we get there! She's got some amazing physical features, I tell you!

I love the little Kermit the Frog ball on her antennae that we search for each time we return from the grocery store. I loved the Nemo one, too, for obvious reasons.

I love to climb in the back to console feelings that have been hurt at school.

I love that she lets me have kid music in the back and adult conversation in the front. Or kid music in the front, too, when I'm in the mood!

I love loading her up with chairs, towels, and an umbrella and heading out for a day of sunkissed fun at the beach.

I love that sometimes the kids disappear into the garage and use her as their high tech space ship, traveling to a far reaching expanse of space and an undiscovered planet.

I love to sit with her in a dark garage all alone... we listen to Norah Jones together.

Most of all, I love that she lets me fully embrace this season of my life.  I don't have to yearn for another season when the kids are gone and I have more "freedom." She lets me be the mom I want to be for now. She helps me to live for this moment, fully embracing my mom to young kidlets era.


So it can't be helped... I love my mini-van. She is a memory maker. I will cry when I have to give her up! It will mean that I am closing the chapter on a treasured part of my life. Oh no... I'm getting teary-eyed just thinking about it.

Is there anyone else out there that feels this way? Can we share the love and declare it together?

C'mon... someone's gotta represent!!
Haters back off... just kidding!  Well, sort of! :)

 

11 comments:

Karen said...

Oh how I love this post! While I don't have a mini-van, I do know what it is like to love the car we have. My "Jurassic Park" old school Land Rover is not at all what I pictured during this era of my life, but I find it suits my mom-of-three-boys self quite well. We joke that the huge rack Gil installed on top was the biggest issue our marriage faced because I was so embarrassed by it and did not want it! Now, I love that I can spot my car in a Wal Mart parking lot like no other! Thanks for sharing such wonderful moments... making me appreciate the car we spend so much time in. :)

mom/popfoote said...

I miss my vanagon every day for all of the above reasons, except the cup holders, oh and i could take naps while sarah danced for hours.

Linda Z said...

Yay, some representation!! I'll bet your Jurassic Park car is sweet, Karen. :)

I'm posting some more people representing via Facebook below, because I have to have a record of this! I am not alone! :)

Anonymous said...

I use to feel the same way about my 1971 VW bus! :-)
via Gwen

Anonymous said...

Well, I can't love my mine for the same reasons, but I am a proud minivan lover! You just can't beat a minivan, and I've been in mourning since ours died. :(
via Jen

Anonymous said...

I love our minivan and I've noticed that this year's models look pretty sporty.
via John

Anonymous said...

That was so cute Linda! love it!
via Casey

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the thoughts Linda! I'm passing it on to a friend here in NZ with 3 kids and one on the way. We had a full-sized Chevy van in the States and I loved it for every reason you listed! Now we have a 9 passenger Toyota Hi-Ace and always cram it full! Drive on sister, drive on!
via Jebraun

Two Cent Sparrow said...

I absolutely can not wait to get my mini van! I think they are brilliant cars and I'll drive hers with pride! I love that you do too :)

Denise said...

i had to say good bye to my mini a few months ago...
http://victoryrd.blogspot.com/2010/10/170000-miles-later.html

i cried.

Tamera Beardsley said...

What a beautiful post my dear dear! I love how you are wise enough to 'embrace the season of your life'. I absolutely believe in that adage, I am further down the road than you, but it has always served me well. As my darling children are beginning to leave our cozy nest, as painful as the departures are, I take great solace in knowing I have fully invested in and appreciated the time we had together. Your writing brims with family love and insight, thank you so much for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...