Saturday, March 27, 2010

Everyday Attitudes

The remarkable thing is,
we have a choice everyday
regarding the attitude
we will embrace for that day.
~Swindoll
Friday turned out to be a litmus test for my attitude. Oddly enough, I had a conversation with Josh that morning about his attitude, that turned out to be equally as useful for me. Josh had a less than enthusiastic attitude about his schoolwork that quickly led him into the depths of despair.
He furrowed his brow, and the corners of his mouth turned down in a sour frown as he regaled to me how much he despised math. He figeted in his seat and sighed loudly as he wielded a No. 2 pencil in his hand.
"You know, Josh... math doesn't have to be your favorite, but you can choose your attitude about doing your work. Did you know that?" I asked, expecting a comeback. "You can choose to do your best, and you can choose to not be tormented over it... and then move on."
I left the room before he could launch into an argument of courtroom proportions. He would make an outstanding lawyer, possessing the logic to win just about any debate if engaged in a heated moment. Sometimes it's just best to walk away and give my words a chance to take root.
They did sink in... he decided to choose a different attitude and get on with his day.
My day, however, continued to be met with several more attitude defining situations.
The garage door opener broke. A few hundred dollars later, we have a new opener installed. Oi! I choose to believe that the unexpected check FedEx'ed to our door the same morning was God's provision to cover it.
Our foster care agency called... there are items on our certification that will be expiring soon. We will need to take renewal classes, and we still don't have any kids in our care. Discouragement. Yet, maybe this is one of the many "signs" God seems to be giving us in the last couple weeks that it may be time to pursue another agency.
The boys had tantrums and fought with one another all day long. I struggle with anger and impatience. In the end, I choose to see this time as an opportunity for growth... to help my boys grow in love for one another. And I choose to take some "mommy moments," driving up to San Luis for a mini-getaway.
I stop at Kohl's with a $10 coupon in hand. The purse I saw in the ad didn't turn out to be what I wanted afterall. I guess it just wasn't meant to be. No big deal.
On to the SLO Little Theater. I had been looking forward to seeing a production of Enchanted April for two weeks. I approached the box office... they had just sold out. Not a single seat left in the house. By this time, I felt pretty dejected.
But today, I'm choosing to move on. Because as Anne Shirley would say, "Tomorrow is always fresh with no mistakes in it." In the grand scheme of things, there are far worse things that could have happened, and sometimes I need to remember that instead of letting all the little, silly things pile up and defeat me in the end. Today I'll have a fresh set of circumstances. A new day for new attitude choices. And a new day to focus my eyes on Jesus.
How do you make attitude adjustments?

5 comments:

Jamie said...

it really is a moment by moment choice. i loved your honesty! spending time in the word really helps me change my attitude.

going kiwi said...

It is so hard to keep a good attitude when things seem to snowball, but keeping my eyes on Him always to helps with my reaction too.

BTW I love Enchanted April, I did not even know it was playing.

Linda Z said...

Oh boy... Josh just threw up for 10 hours straight. We've had a very long haul of sicknesses the past 2 months....prayers are greatly needed and appreciated!!

Denise said...

same way linda. it's a choice to not let circumstances bring out the worst in me.

Alana said...

I have been working a lot on my attitude and the thoughts I choose to put in my mind lately. It really does make all the difference!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...