Monday, March 1, 2010

Books I Grew On...

I love picture books!!


The artwork, the silliness, the lessons, the touching moments.... I love it all!

Since a lot of you have little ones and many of you
are wonderful aunties, I thought I'd share my very favorites!


Have you read any of these?


What are your very favorite picture books?






What Do You Say, Dear? by Sesyle Joslin
What do you say when you bump into an alligator on a crowded city streep? What do you say when the Queen feeds you so much spaghetti that you don't fit into your chair anymore? The answer to these manner related questions found here! I like to do all kinds of accents while I'm reading this one!



Wake Up, Big Barn! by Suzanne Tanner Chitwood
Despite the title, this one is actually a great "going to bed" book. I love the fun phrases, and the collages that the author/illustrator created are visually stunning... especially if you like the color red!


Trouble on the Tracks by Kathy Mallat
I discovered this one when Josh was little and he was a huge train enthusiast. We read it over and over again and practically knew it by heart! It has a bit of a mystery element, too. I won't say any more, or I'll give it away!






Tikki Tikki Tembo by Arlene Mosel
This is my favorite folk tale. It's a hilarious story about why Chinese kids have such short names. Such a fun read aloud! Tikki Tikki Tembo No Sa Rembo Pari Bari Ruchi Pip Peri Pembo.... now that's a mouthful!!!



Teeny Tiny by Jill Bennett
It is so fun to build up suspense while reading this book and use your super scary voice! Tomie de Paola's illustrations are always so wonderful, too. His style is one kids can emulate with success. It would be fun to make up variations on the story, too!



Sylvester and the Magic Pebble by William Steig
This is a touching story about appreciating family and never giving up. I always get a little teary eyed and I just love the sweet, pastoral illustrations. Be careful what you wish for and savor the moments!





Skippyjon Jones by Judy Schachner
Skippyjon Jones is a cat who thinks he is a chihuahua. That fact alone makes for one hilarious scenario after another! I love that his mother has nicknames for him like Mr. Fluffernutter, too. I read this one with a Spanish accent and it just cracks me up!



Rotten Richie and the Ultimate Dare
by Patricia Polacco
I enjoy many of Ms. Polacco's stories that have a Russian flare. This one is definitely a departure from those, but it has the same relatable quality that she infuses into all of her books. This one is on sibling rivalry and learning to live with and actually love someone who drives you nuts!


If You Give a Pig a Pancake
by Laura Joffe Numeroff
This is my favorite of the "If You Give..." series. The pig gets into even bigger messes than the mouse... she's a pig, of course! I love the cadence of these books and predicting what the animal might do next! I think it might even help kids understand what it's like to be a parent sometimes!





Nurse Nancy by Kathryn Jackson
Nurse Nancy is my favorite Golden Book of all time. My mom and Aunt Nancy used to tell each other, "I'm a nurse at this," when they were little, so this book reminds me of both of them. It encourage little girls, especially, to dress up and play act at a career.



Noisy Nancy Norris by Lou Ann Gaeddert
I'm not sure if this one is even in print anymore, which is a shame! It is the story of a very noisy girl who lives in an apartment building... a situation that spells trouble. I love to act out her behaviors with the kids and have an excuse to be noisy and obnoxious. Then we learn why it's important to be considerate!


The Maggie B by Irene Haas
My mom always loved this book. It is about a little girl who makes a wish and gets to sail away for the night with her little brother. It is a sweet, endearing story and it ends peacefully, just in time for bed.





Lentil by Robert McCloskey
Mr. McCloskey is better known for books like Make Way for Ducklings and Bluberries for Sal, but Lentil is my favorite! It is the story of an unlikely hero and an unlikely antagonist in a small town setting. Brush off your harmonicas and play along!




Jumanji by Chris Van Allsburg
Mr. Van Allsburg has written and illustrated so many wonderful books. I've lost track of the awards he has received. I love Jumanji because of its whimsy. It is easy to suspend your disbelief and imagine yourself as part of the story as well. Board games will never be the same!


I Stink! by Kate & Jim McMullan
Anything can be turned into alliterative poetry... even garbage! It's absolutely disgusting, and I'm not sure little girls would sit through it, but my boys think it's the best!




Ira Sleeps Over by Bernard Waber
I must have checked this one out from the library at least 10 times as a little girl! What happens when you're invited next door for a sleep over, but you've never slept without your teddy bear? Oh, the dilemma!!!





I Love You As Much by Laura Krauss Melmed
Tissues, please!! As a mom, I simply can't read this one without crying. No, it's impossible! I'm getting teary... I better move on!


The Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
Oh, how I adore Mr. Carle's books. I have yet to meet a child who is not enamoured by his collages and clever stories. This one, though, is the classic. I've used it to teach about metamorphasis and the days of the week and the perils of junk food! We have it in the Spanish version as well, and it is hilarious to hear my huband read it with a throaty, deep accent!



Harry the Dirty Dog by Margaret Bloom Graham
I had a college professor who implied this book was racist. No, I just can't see it! I think it's just a dog who runs away from home because he doesn't want a bath. It's a cute lesson... I think I should read it to my almost 10 year old who still hates bathes! Maybe it would encourage him or at least make him laugh!





Fritz and the Beautiful Horses by Jan Brett
An enchanting story, that teaches beauty is so much more than only skin deep. I love the fairy tale quality about it, and pulling for the underdog! The illustrations are also amazing, but that's to be expected of all of Jan Brett's books. I love The Mitten, too.



Corduroy by Don Freeman
No matter how many times I read this book, I alway feel for the little bear with the green overalls. I can't wait for him to be taken home and loved despite his "flaw." I think all children imagine stuffed animals to be real, don't they?


Chicken Soup with Rice: A Book of Months
by Maurice Sendak
Mr. Sendak is known for Where the Wild Things Are, but it is this cute little gem that caught my attention. It is a fun way to learn the months of the year. I love it's repetitive a quality, and of course, it's fun to heat up a bowl of chicken soup with rice to go along with it!




Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin
This is both a fun read and a wonderful, inventive alphabet book. It's hard to not get sucked into the rhythm! Add a drum to make it even more fun! Set it to music and start rapping! Or get some alphabet stickers to illustrate your own version!





Animalia by Graeme Base
Speaking of alphabet books, this is my other favorite! The illustrations in this book are so detailed and beautiful. You could literally spend a half an hour on each letter finding the hidden objects and exploring the world of Animalia.





Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
by Judith Voirst
Because some days are like that... even in Australia!



Tomorrow is our library day... so I need to know some of your favorites!

5 comments:

Jamie said...

I really like the book list you made Linda! Harry the Dirty Dog was always a fun read as a child. I came up with some of my favs.

1. Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
2. The Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister
3. The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams
4. The Ugly Duckling by Pirrko Vainio
5. Any Richard Scarry's Childrens Book
6. The Frog And The Toad by Arnold Lobel
7. The Tortoise And The Hair by Aesop

Have a good time at the library!

aprilmae said...

Great list! I have so many new faves from teaching, in addition to all the classics you mentioned. Mo Williams is great, especially Knuffle Bunny. I LOVE all the Skippyjon Jones books, those were both mine and my kids' favorites last year. Pinkalicious is adorable, and even my boys loved it. Miss Nelson is Missing is another classic. The Gardener by Sarah Stewart, plus her other books, are all sweet stories with gorgeous illustrations. David Shannon, Mem Fox, Robert Munsch, Tomie De Paola, Kevin Henkes, I can keep going. Happy reading!

Tamara said...

You have some of my favs on here, but I always loved Strega Nona and the Napping House... just off the top of my head :) Ohh and The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry, and the Big Hungry Bear (That one always made me a little nervous but I still read it over and over again!)

Colleen said...

You've definitely listed some of my favorites, but I also love:

Caps For Sale, Esphyr Slobodkina
Where The Wild Things Are, Maurice Sendak
The Carrot Seed, Ruth Krauss (there's also a song of this one)
Love You Forever - Robert Munsch (so sweet!)
The Story About Ping - Marjorie Flack
Are You My Mother? - P.D. Eastman

basically all Dr. Suess books,

and my favorite since adulthood is You Are Speical, by Max Lucado. Enjoy the library day!

going kiwi said...

I love anything by Eloise Wilkin. She illustrated books like "We Help Mommy" and "We Help Daddy" They are so sweet and innocent. Great post.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...