Thursday, January 28, 2010

Nesting: It's not Just for the Birds

And apparently, it's not just for pregnant women either! The nesting instincts have completely taken over my very being. I don't think I told you... we are officially certified as foster adopt parents as of the first week of January!


So technically, I suppose we are "paper pregnant." We could get a call at any time to take a child eligible for foster adoption. We have asked for a "sister," but have had the feeling all along that we would end up with a sister pair! My mom even had a dream about a sister pair, before we told her that's what was on our hearts. Then back in November, I met a sister pair at the pool and felt like they were my daughters. I discovered that they are actually foster kids, but not up for adoption. I don't know, God could surprise us! He's done amazing thing like that in our lives before... many times!!



Back to the nesting obsession... where do you think that instinct stems from? Currently, I think part of mine comes from the lack of control I'm feeling. I want to fast forward and know what's going to happen! This is a huge lesson in patience and trust! At least I can nest while I'm learning!


Here are some things I've (well, we've) been up to...


I've had my eye open for bar stools the last 11 years... seriously. There were just never any that met my criteria: 1) stable, 2) with a back, 3) easy to clean, and 4) CHEAP! They were at Marshall's of all places! $59 each! Now we'll all be able to eat in the breakfast nook!




Jason moved into Josh's room, so we'd have a "girl" room. Good news... they are gettin' along!!!




I found this cute bed, complete with frame, mattress and box spring on Craig's List for $75! She even gave me 4 sets of barely used sheets! Perfect!! I paired these with some matching black/tan comforters I got with Bed Bath and Beyond coupons, and the sleeping situation is set!



Then we looked into storage systems for the kids' closets. Can you say EXPENSIVE?? As in $1,000! Yikes. Instead, my studly husband got out his toolbelt and installed a laminate shelf at the top of the closet.




Then I found this hardly used book unit on Craig's List for $100. We (read studly husband) installed it in our bedroom, and then took the 2 book shelves we originally had and used them as storage in each of the kid rooms! Perfect... and cheap!




The one thing I need to do to finish up the boys room is make a DIY pelmet box and get a shade. I have some denim panels (more like chambray) from Josh's baby/toddler days. I need some advice... can I dye them them black and resuse them? Would the dye take? And, does anyone (especially Jen, the fabric queen) know of a great black/tan geometric fabric that would work well for the pelmet box?



Well... back to nesting and waiting! Would you please keep our family in your prayers as we are hopefully expecting?

11 comments:

The Schmidts said...

So fun! I love nesting--whether pregnant or not (although more of my life the last few years has been pregnant.) So excited to see when you end up with your daughters! -Rhiannon

nicole viola said...

it all looks fabulous! praying for you guys!

Karen said...

Oh so exciting! Can't wait to see what God has in store for you!! Love your new blog background!!

CoachZ said...

Wow thanks babe...studly huh? Glad I got that belt in the company Christmas party, except I think it makes me look more Village People than Marlboro Man ;-)

Sandy said...

I've loved watching this all come about. Now come up and do my house, 'k?

Anonymous said...

We were paper ready and got the call 6 weeks later with a 4 year old little girl who was Permanent Custody... GREAT! Just what we prayed for... guess what, she had a baby brother on the way who the agency was filing PC for as well. We got to adopt both, with no glitches... two years later we have adopted two additional siblings from birth (I got to be wheeled out of the hospital with both). WE ARE TRULY BLESSED..THANK THE LORD FOR HE IS GOOD!... Here's praying for the perfect little girl to be in her forever home with your special family (I love reading your blog) My prayers are with you!

Anonymous said...

An additional thought which may be of comfort to you. I Samuel 1:27... I PRAYED FOR THIS CHILD AND GOD HAS GRANTED ME WHAT I ASKED OF HIM!.. I must have been praying really really hard! I was blessed 4 times :)

Jen said...

Nesting is definitely a female thing- and I do think in your situation it is because you are "expecting" again soon :)

I'll keep my eye out for black and tan geometric fabric. As for dyeing fabric, I'm trying to figure that out for myself right now as well. From what I've read, you never really get an even color distribution, the color may bleed onto other fabrics when in the wash, and you never really get as deep of a color as you wanted. Oh yeah, and don't forget staining your bathtub, washing machine, and your hands! IMO, not worth the trouble.

I'm praying for you guys!

Denise said...

COnGrAtUlAtIoNs!!!!! on being paper pregnant.

yes, God is full of surprises. my the additions to your family be hand picked by God himself, and may God be in all the details, preparing all 4 of you for them in Christ Jesus.

Colleen said...

Congratulations!! I am so excited for your family. I can't wait to see and hear what God has in store!

Jamie said...

i got a phone call in the middle of this post and so never finished it. it's so a fav post of mine since it's all about creativity and diy projects. i love how you used your creative genius coupled with patricks handyman skills to really pull your space together linda! go you! i am obsessed with pelmit windows so if you ever make them and don't mind giving me a lesson i would love to learn and watch you create!

happy for you guys with the paper pregnancy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...