Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Hello, December!


Last year, we all shared our favorite Christmas movies. I wasn't sure if Little Women counted, but you validated my choice! I haven't watched it yet this year, but it's on my list of things to do this December!


This year, I would like to know... what is your favorite Christmas song? And do you have a special memory that goes with it?


I think mine is the classic "Silent Night." It is just such a peaceful and simple retelling of the Christmas story.


In high school, I sang the second verse during a concert. All the lights were out in the auditorium, and it felt as though everyone in the room was holding their breath as my voice echoed in the darkness.


Silent night, holy night!
Shepherds quake at the sight.
Glories stream from heaven afar,
Heavenly hosts sing Alleluia.
Christ the Savior is born!
Christ the Savior is born.



Last year, a bell choir played a beautiful rendition. Just as the last note resounded in the church, a little newborn baby let out a tiny, perfect cry. It was so beautiful... it still brings tears to my eyes.

4 comments:

Sandy said...

Not sure if "Mary, Did You Know?" is considered a Christmas song, but I think of it as one. The lyrics are so beautiful. It speaks of salvation and love and deliverance and miracles.

I first heard it as a solo in church and the mother of a deaf boy was "signing" the words. Sooooo touching...

...and when you kiss your little baby, you've kissed the face of God...the sleeping child you're holding is the Great I Am...

Jen said...

I have always loved Little Drummer Boy (especially the Jars of Clay version). But I also really enjoy the Transiberian Orchestra- I wonder if they have a new album out this year? Off to check!

Denise said...

i can never choose. i LOVE too many Christmas songs. they're so deep, and rich with Jesus coming truth.

the two already mentioned are two of my absolute favorites.

the song that always kicks Christmas off for us is the same every year though- "Sleigh Ride" by Amy Grant. it's more than 20 year old, but it makes me so happy when i hear it!

"Just hear those sleigh bells jingle'n ring ting ting'ln too, come on it's lovely weather for a sleigh ride together with you."

Colleen said...

Oh my goodness I LOVE Christmas music! So many great ones. But my favorite is definitely O Holy Night, because it so beautifully tells the Christmas story. My favorite line is, "Long lay the world, in sin and error pining, til He appeared and the soul felt its worth." Ooh, that gives me chills when I think about it. I played it in the Calvary Christmas show too, so that's a nice memory. :)

On a silly note, I also love Mariah Carey's "All I Want For Chrstmas Is You" - it makes me want to dance with holly in my hair or something.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...