Monday, October 5, 2009

Sweet and Savory


During the summer, my adorable, radiant and pregnant-for-the-first-time friend, Wendy, came to SLO for her 20th high school reunion. She didn't waste any time letting me know that not a whole lot has changed in these parts since she was last visiting. Wendy and I have this thing.



She doesn't like SLO, and moved away as soon as she could.


I love SLO, and jumped at the chance to move from LA.


I don't particularly enjoy city life.


She has lived in San Francisco, New York, Los Angeles, Austin, and Chicago. She has also flown to most major cities as a flight attendant.


When she and her husband, Larry, left after their stay here, she gave me a bag of Garrett's popcorn. She put it in her suitcase and flew it here all the way from Chicago. Apparently, it is a famous gourmet popcorn with a secret, 3-generation old family recipe. Wow, this is going to be good, I thought.


And then I opened the bag.


All mixed together were two different kinds of popcorn... one a sweet caramel crisp and the other a cheese covered corn the color of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese. Oh, barf. This just can't possibly be edible.



And then I threw caution to the wind and gave it a try. Moment later, I tried it again... several times. I thought about taking it into a closet and eating all by myself. After all, it came all the way from Chicago... and she was *my* friend. Surely, she meant for it to be mostly mine, right? However, I was good and I shared it. Begrudgingly.


My friendship with Wendy has always been like Garrett's popcorn. It's unique and unlikely. There really aren't a lot of reasons it would work on paper, and yet it is a delicious blend of sweet and savory. Somehow our differences compliment one another and we're better when we're together.


Wendy had a word for this when she visited a few years back...


Fellowship


We laugh and we share...


We easily pick up where we left off...


We sharpen one another.


So, whenever I have an opportunity to spend time with a friend like Wendy, I gobble it up. Because a friendship as enduring and scrumptious as Garrett's popcorn just doesn't come along every day!

5 comments:

Jen said...

What a nice friend to bring you that scrumptuous goodness- yummy.

Just when I finally fit back into my pre-preggo jeans you write about this yummy blend! Now I'm hungry and off to the kitchen to find something bad to eat...

Denise said...

what a sweet description of your friendship. and btw- i WOULD HAVE horded all the popcorn for myself and not felt guilty about it a bit!
and the closet is the best place to devour such yummy treats..i know :-)

CoachZ said...

I thought about eating it all too...thanks for not doing that!

Great post! True friendship is so rare. It's so good to cherish it.

Mommas Soapbox said...

Great friends are such a blessing.

By the way I LOVE SLO.... My Hunk of burnin' love is there today helping a friend move furniture...

We have a vacation home in Shell Beach....so you are a neighbor of sorts.;)

Have a great day neighbor!

Linda Z said...

Wendy's comment, via Facebook, for posterity! :)

"That was beautiful! I couldn't have put words together better. And now when I talk about you. . . Larry knows you too!"

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...