Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Ode to Audrey: Part 4

Breakfast at Tiffanys





In effort to be crowned the queen of Audrey Hepburn film reviews, here is my fourth, and most likely final installment. No collection of Audrey classics would be complete without the quintessential Breakfast at Tiffanys.


In all seriousness, Breakfast at Tiffany’s has grown on me, and more accurately, with me, over the years. Years ago, when I first watched it, I could easily point out each character’s flaws and probably voiced pat answers and solutions for each of their problems… if only in my head. These days, the judgment has waned and given way to empathy. I finally understand “Moon River”… at least I think I do. Only time will tell.



Peering into Holly Golightly and Paul Varjak’s lives, I see two people who desperately wish to be loved, to belong, and to do something meaningful in their respective lives. Somewhere along the way, however, they each bought the lie that they would only fulfill their dreams through supreme independence. Not willing to be owned or loved by anyone or anything, they pushed down past hurts and refused to let anyone in. And in their quest for autonomy, they ironically sold their souls to the highest bidder in exchange for temporal luxuries. Luxuries which ultimately fail to satisfy and sustain the empty, yet hungry, recesses of the heart.



A contemporary of Audrey’s used to sing “I Did it My Way,” a sentiment which has given way to the “Me” generation I grew up in. The last few lines of the song say, “To say the things he truly feels; And not the words of one who kneels. The record shows I took the blows - And did it my way!” I am relieved that Holly and Paul realized that doing it “their way” was empty, and that when they humbled themselves to love and belong to one another, they were truly rich and complete.



As a follower of Christ, I can attest to the amazing truths I have witnessed in His upside-down kingdom. When I let go, I gain. When I die to myself, I truly live. When I chain myself to Him, it is then that I am truly set free. My life is given meaning and I can love because He loves me and gave His life to cover my sins. I no longer have to run around like Holly wondering who I really am…I belong to Him. I‘ll cry tears of joy over that truth anytime…


even in an alley, during a storm, somewhere in New York.

4 comments:

Sandy said...

Glory to Jesus, He truly does set us free when we submit to Him completely. That does sound upside-down to those who don't yet know Him, but the truth of His Truth is awesome.

Denise said...

i think i am gonna have to come spend a weekend with you and have you give me an appreciation for audrey.

Linda Z said...

Amen, Mama-San. :)

Oh, I can give you an appreciation for Audrey alright, Denise. We could have a marathon. :)

And I promise this is my last Audrey post. Stay tuned for the revealing of my long awaited sunglasses. :)

Sarah said...

I agree - B@T (as I refer to it) grows on you and with you over time. I feel like I get something new out of it every time I watch it. By far my favorite movie.

So if you are intrigued by the depth of character you should try to find Truman Capote's original short story. He always thought that Blake Edwards ruined the story. In Capote's version Holly Golightly is a very strong woman, less vulnerable than Audrey played her. But apparently Audrey thought the character was essentially broken and that it should show. Anyway, it (and his other novellas) are good a read and it makes for an interesting comparison.

Thanks for the post!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...