Monday, March 9, 2009

Home Remedy


I'm trying not to count any chickens before they hatch. I really should be writing this post in May, but I'm really hoping I am on the right path here.


Back in 1994, I got a really nasty sinus infection. If you've ever had a sinus infection, you know what I'm talking about. It feels like a migraine and a horrible cold combined. My teeth even hurt, and at one point, I thought that if my head exploded, at least the pressure would be relieved. I was that desperate.


Ever since, I have been battling my sinuses. For a long time, my weapons were a variety of over-the-counter remedies which usually did not win the battle. I would eventually end up in the doctor's office (or the ER on one occasion), and go home defeated with a bottle of antibiotics.
Over the years, I've tried a combination of remedies in effort to prevent an infection as well as fight one I feel might be coming on. Here's what has been working for me this cold season.
#1 Nasal irrigation- I've been trying this several times a week using a saline solution. If I feel a cold coming on, I do it a couple times a day, because colds always lead to sinus infections for me. I want to avoid using steroid sprays and the dreaded antibiotics, and this simple cleaning the nose is really helping.
#2 Emergen-C- I've basically been taking a pack of this every day since September, and although it didn't prevent hives from shellfish or the stomach flu, I've generally felt better taking it.
#3 Colloidal Silver- This is basically silver particles suspended in distilled water. Silver has anti viral, fungal, and bacterial properties. So I take it in the evening if I feel like I'm getting sick. Sometimes I have irrigated my nose with this and a salt solution and it has saved me a trip to the doctor.
So far, I am so thankful I've got a good combination going.
Lord willing, hopefully I can escape this season without a trip to the pharmacy. That would be amazing!!
How do you stay healthy?

6 comments:

Stephanie Dollahite said...

I use a nasal irrigation too! I feel like it sounds gross, but it even helps with my regular old allergies! (P.S. In the interest of penny-pinching, I started using regular salt instead of the packets they sell and it works just as well.) I also use OTC vitamin C pills, echinacia, and fresh squeezed OJ!
Here's to a healthy end of the winter/beginning of spring!

jeninslo said...

My mom swears by nasal irrigation these days, and she has battled nasty sinus infections for as long as I can remember.

My friends in college used to say that I kept healthy by eating so poorly that germs were afraid of me. :) These days I keep a bottle of hand sanitizer on me at all times during the school day. I get sick when I run out of it and don't replace it immediately.

Denise said...

zycam, love it!
the moment any of us has anything that seems like a cold like symptom we use the zycam. i can't remember the last time we had a cold (knock on wood).

Jen said...

Prenatal vitamins! I haven't been sick in almost a year :) Knock on wood, I hope I didn't just jinx myself!

CoachZ said...

Sometimes I knock on wood and nobody answers...

Sandy said...

Patrick, you crack me up!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...