Saturday, February 28, 2009

Silver and Gold


As iron sharpens iron,


so one (wo)man sharpens another.


Proverbs 27:17


I'm so thankful for friends and family whose words and presence in my life sharpen me. I love leaving a conversation feeling as though I have experienced true fellowship. A perfect blend of honesty and grace, seasoned with godly wisdom and peppered with laughter.


Remember that old Girl Scout song... "Make new friends, but keep the old..." ? Here's what some of my silver and gold friends have impressed upon me recently.




From a friend of 15+ years...

We were talking about Foster Adoption. I expressed my concern of the unknown. What if we welcome a child into our home only to have it taken from us months later, leaving our hearts broken?

"You have no guarantee how long the Lord will allow any of your children to be with you," she replied. "But God has everything under His control. We have to hold loosely."

Deep down, I know this to be true, but to hear this friend speak these words into my life at that time was life altering. These words, as though from God's lips, set me on a new course.



From a friend of 10+ years...

We were talking about Homeschooling. I was telling her about my first week in the new endeavor... how most of the days had been good, but we definitely had had our moments. She began to tell me about her difficult days, when everyone is crying.

And then she shared a philosophy. "You can either view your child as a bucket that is to be filled, or a match that is to be lit," she conveyed.

In this second week, I have been trying to kindle a fire... a passion for learning.



From a friend of less than a year...

We were talking about ministry. I feel as though God has been busy molding me lately. I want to be yielding in the potter's hands, but sometimes it is hard to see what vessel I am to become. I struggle with doubt and not wanting to fail anyone, yet I know it is a part of learning and growing and being refined. It is where God can be strong in my weaknesses.

She listened.

She offered encouragement.

She was there... and that is what I needed.


Thank you, friends, for shining... for reflecting His glorious light.

5 comments:

Sandy said...

A good example of the body of Christ, each member using her own God given gifts to help another.

Beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I will pray for you nightly that your fear be eased about entering into "a leap of faith" which is how I describe our journey of adoption. We have a sibling group of four children that we adopted through the foster program. We just completed our last one's finalization of adoption. Their ages are 7, 2-1/2, 1-1/2 and 7 months, we have had the last three children since I picked them up at the hospital when they were born. No journey is as frightening, with roller coaster rides daily, one day knowing God wouldn't take away these children he has entrusted to you, the next day letting yourself be terrified with fear that they will go "back home". It's all worth it in the end. Here's what got me through it all.... Proverbs 3:25-26 and especially 1 Samuel 1:27. Fear Not! May God bless your family as he did mine :)

Jamie said...

I really like the thought on, we have to hold loosley, because God has everything under His control. It's such a good reminder to put aside our ambition and surrender to His Lordship.

summer... said...

friends are truly amazing. God allows the right person to walk gracefully into our lives at the most perfect moment, in order to encourage us through our difficult struggles & decisions! it is is faithfulness in us displayed through others.

nicole viola said...

thanks for sharing and encouraging me with these little stories, Linda!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...