Monday, February 16, 2009

How 'bout some milk to wash that down...

I am eating humble pie today. A pretty large helping.

Sometimes I have said or at least thought that I would never do something. Like dying my hair, for instance. Now my hair has been most of the shades of chestnut, mocha and auburn brown that Walmart stocks. So much for that never.

Sometimes I don't have the audacity to say I'll never do something, but I think it. Like before I had kids... I thought I would never be caught in a grocery store with a tantrum throwing toddler. Not my own anyway. Ha! Right. Snicker.

Today I am undoing another never.

I am homeschooling my eldest.

I've said many times that it would never happen. I've said in a public forum that Josh and I could never survive homeschooling. There are witnesses who probably remember this promise.

Yet here I am with a full week of Language Arts, Math, Social Science, and Science lesson plans staring at me.

It's not that I don't like teaching... I have a multiple subject credential.

It's not that I don't like my kids... I love 'em.

I've just always been much better at teaching other people's kids.

But it's what Josh needs right now, so I'm going to un-never it to my best ablility. I have repented. Forward march!

I should probably never say never again...

4 comments:

Erin said...

Welcoming to the homeschooling world! I'm glad God has called you to this at this time. To give up your "never" to follow God's leading and to give Josh what he needs right now is awesome!

Homeschooling is a challenge because "life" happens and many times I feel like I don't accomplish all that I wanted to. And then there are those wonderful days when everything goes as planned and I think that homeschooling is the easiest thing in the world. Don't get discouraged when things don't go as you planned. Also, don't feel like you have to replicate school at home. I love teaching my kids to learn and our school doesn't look like any normal school and I'm sure it doesn't look like anyone else's home school. :)

I hope you have fun in this challenging endeavor! :)

Linda Z said...

Thanks for all the encouragement Erin! It's gone well the last couple of days! Praise God!

Denise said...

i told God i was never going to marry a jones, never going to move to the mountains, never going to drive a mini-van, never going to yell at my children, never going to... the list goes on. i have given God many good laughs.

6 yrs ago i said i was NEVER going to home school either. God laughed again, and said i was.

if you need a fellow mommy home schooler to ask questions, i'm available. i don't know anything, but i'm available. :-)

truly blessed said...

I did the very same thing once.
I now homeschool all 5 of my girls! My oldest is 14 and this fall will be in high school. (I'm nerved up about putting her in public school for the first time.) You'll do a great job. You love your kids and you love the Lord, you have the most important parts down. :) Don't be too hard on yourself. When they're young it's mostly about keeping their attention and on your part--learning patience. That can be tough.
If you have any questions feel free to e-mail me, I'd be glad to help if I can.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...