Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Help, I need some bodies...

H-E-L-P! There I said it.

No, actually I just spelled it.

Ok, let me try again.

HELP! Ok, phew! I did it.
Sometimes it's really difficult for me to ask for help. I'll confess that sometimes I feel like it would be easier to just do it myself. Other times pride might just creep in, and I don't want to admit that I need help. But most of the time, I just don't want to bother someone by asking for help. I figure that everyone has such busy schedules already, that I don't want to ask them to do one more thing. I don't want people to feel badly because they have to say no or to feel obligated to do whatever I'm asking. Does that make sense?

Our Foster Adoption process is pretty much on hold right now. Do you know why? Because I'm having a hard time asking for help. We have to take 6 sets of classes in preparation to become adoptive parents through this program. These are major classes.... I'm talking 7 hours on a Saturday, or sometimes a Sunday.


All I can see is the negative. I think to myself, "Self. Who would want to take on your boys for 7 hours on a Saturday?? Who wouldn't reject that request?" I should be thinking on lovely things. I should be thinking things like, "Who would be blessed to be a part of this process? Who would love to help make our dream come true?? Who would love to bless a child??"


I'm trying. I'm trying to discipline my thoughts. I'm trying to step aside so that God can provide.


I'm learning to ask for help...

7 comments:

jeninslo said...

I would love to help you on this journey and take the boys for seven hours, if they wouldn't be too freaked out by a total stranger watching them. :)

Colleen said...

You should tell Patrick to spread the word at FCNI that you guys could use some support. There are a lot of kind, compassionate people there that have met your kids and that are passionate about kids who need loving adoptive parents to take them in. I think there would definitely be someone who could help in the process. Just a thought...

Linda Z said...

Thanks for the suggestion, Colleen... it's a good one!

Jen, thank you so much!! Stranger to them, maybe, but not to me!! :) I think they'd be blessed to have a teacher taking care of them! Can you teach them about Greek city-states and long division while you have them. That would be really proactive! :)

jeninslo said...

No problem. I'll even throw in some sentence diagramming to round it out. :)

Denise said...

i too am not good at asking for help.
i use to take things on alone, and then become bitter at everyone for not doing their part. problem was i never delegated their part to them.

and i too do not like to inconvenience people. i rarely ask anyone to keep my kids. and my kids are a delight! :-)

as you ask for help- i pray a community of people will come around you, support you, encourage, and be God's blessing to you

Rob, Kelly, and Bennett said...

Hi Linda,
I so wish I was closer, I would totally help you. I have such a heart for those children who need a home and a family. I can pray for you guys, though. That is such a simple need for God to meet for one of His orphans.

I second Colleen's idea, the in-home counselors at FCNI really love those kids. Also, what about Calvary? If I was there, I would jump at the opportunity to help a child become adopted (especially into a family like yours!). Could an announcement be made? Just a thought...

I am so excited that you guys are doing this, I didn't know. Rob and I have talked many times about one day becoming foster parents or considering foster-adoption. I look forward to learning from your journey.

~Kelly

Linda Z said...

So here's the update...

Jen, my mom, Jamie, Charity, Gwen & Kyle all want to help out so far!! Yay! :) I'm so thankful and grateful to God for you all!!

Hugs!! I'm feeling the support!!

Kelly and Denise... thank you for the prayers!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...