Thursday, January 15, 2009

Dancing and Dreams

Jason and I danced in the kitchen today, barefooted and in our pajamas. It was a song about the simple things with a Jack Johnson kind of feel. We smiled and laughed and danced. Just him and me.

And then he looked up at me and said, "Mommy, please hold me. I need to be in your heart."

So I scooped him up into my arms. He hugged me tightly and we twirled and danced some more.

When we were tired, I sat down on the couch and he climbed into my lap and rested his sweet head in the crook of my arm. He put his thumb in his mouth and curled his chubby forefinger around his nose and looked at me with his twinkling, chocolate brown eyes. I told him how much I love him and how special he is, and he shook his head knowingly. His eyelashes slowly began to flutter and his breathing became long and even, and he gave way to his dreams.

I savored the moments, which didn't last very long. Suddenly, my little dancing partner leapt up and took my hand, leading me to his room.

"You're the kid, now, and I'm the dad. It's time to take your nap," he said.

I climbed in bed and he pulled the covers up around my neck and blew me a kiss.

"I'll tell you a story now. This one. Adan and Eve were with the animals. There were elephants. And then they made a boat. The End. Ok, you got to sleep now, because you're the kid. I'll give you some music, ok? Sleep now. Don't fall outta the bed, ok?" And he blew me another kiss and shut the door.

And in a milestone moment, my baby practically outgrew my lap and became a big boy. My heart doesn't know whether to ache with loss or swell with pride. For now, I'll rest in the limbo and hope for another cuddle in the morning... I certainly haven't outgrown it. I don't think I ever will.

7 comments:

The Schmidts said...

What a sweet story Linda. Those kind of mom moments make all the hard work worth it. -Rhiannon

Court said...

Too precious! I love those moments!

Jamie said...

I just love how affectionate he is ans so loving, I hope he never outgrows that for you.

Sandy said...

I'm so glad you are enjoying these precious moments, our kids grow up way too fast. I will always treasure the time I had with you and Greg as children, and I feel so blessed to be able to watch Josh and Jason go through these early years as well.

After I read this post I was showering and pondered all that you had said. I stood under the running water and cried tears of joy! Silly Grandma.

Denise said...

mmmm, sweet moments. i love how you documented your day.
as i read, i was reminded of similar settings with my children. i miss them...little them, but i LOVE who they are growing to be.
enjoy every moment!

Anna Hosking said...

Thanks for sharing that moment. It got my little heart fluttering with excitement. Sometimes I think of boys as only rough and tumble and forget that, hopefully, my boy will want to dance in the kitchen with mom, as well as play with swords.

Rob, Kelly, and Bennett said...

I love this story, Linda. It makes me excited for Bennett to continue growing and making memories like these. Thanks for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...