Sunday, December 14, 2008

Come, Emmanuel

"Love that begins us,

Pardons and wins us,

Come and reign in us,

Emmanuel"

This year, I learned a new song called "Come, Emmanuel." Not the traditional one, which is also one of my favorites, but I realized that I love music that speaks of the incarnation... Emmanuel, God with us.

I've been studying the book of Joshua and recently read the account of the Israelites setting up Shiloh, as the site in the midst of the Promised Land, that would be set apart for the tabernacle. Shiloh is actually a word that refers to Messiah. I think it is such a beautiful foreshadowing and also speaks so much of a God who is not aloof, but wants to dwell with us, in the center of our existence. He communed with Adam and Eve in the cool of the evening in the Garden, He was a covering by day and the light by night while the Israelites wandered through the wilderness, He dwelled among His people in the tabernacle... And then His very Word became flesh and dwelt among us, Yeshua the Christ.

As I sit typing, Sophie's warm little dog body is limp with sleep on my feet. And when I get up, my children will follow me as a walk to another room. Our hearts are wired for community, aren't they? We long to be with one another, to be known by one another. Our Creator has made us in His image, with the desire to commune.

In the midst of the Christmas hustle and bustle, I am reminding myself that I need to commune with Emmanuel, letting Him reign in me as I commune with others. I don't want to miss His presence, His glory, or His beauty. He is indeed, Emmanuel, God with us.

Do you have a favorite song, celebrating Emmanuel? I would love to hear about it!

4 comments:

Sandy said...

What a beautiful reminder of how great our God is. He does indeed want to dwell with us and in us. We are so blessed to be called His children.

Hearing the wonderful choir and orchestra tonight at Grace Bible Church was a blessing. I'm so glad that you can sing with that amazing group. It made me think how incredible heaven will be with the choirs of angels singing praises to our Lord.

Love you.

Anonymous said...

My favorite song is "Silent Night". Every Christmas Eve we have a candlelighting service and everyone in the church lights their candle and sings without music to silent night. I cry everytime, to hear "just voices" singing this beautiful song. This year will be extra special with the addition of our newly adopted baby daughter :)

Anonymous said...

I stumbled upon your blog through Lisa Leonard (Jewelry Maker) twin sister (Flipflops & Applesauce). I am so happy I did. You give me such insight to everyday. You mentioned you might be interested in adoption at one point. Are you still? I can tell you from experience having 6 adopted children through the foster care system, it's the most joyous blessing ever!

Linda Z said...

Mom, I'm so glad you came! That was my very favorite concert of the 4 :)

Anonymous... I wish I knew who you are! :) Congratulations on your adoption!! Yay!!

And Anonymous 2... great encouragement!! Thanks you!! I hope my new post answers some questions for you! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...