Monday, November 3, 2008

Clothed by the King




A couple of Saturdays ago, I took the boys to the library and was pleasantly surprised to find a book sale in full swing. While I was considering a few titles, Miss Marion the Librarian announced that whatever would fit into a paper grocery bag could be taken home for only $2. Oh, now you are speaking my language, Miss Marion. So I loaded my bag up with a stack of biographies and a Grisham for Patrick.


Currently, I'm immersed in the life story of Naomi Judd. Her mother, Polly, had a love of language and words, inspiring her daughter to have an adept grasp of the English language. When the kids heard a word on the radio they were unfamiliar with, she would have them write it on an index card. They had to know how to spell the word, give its definition, and use it correctly in a sentence by the next evening's dinner. A phrase she would often repeat to Naomi was...


"Words are the clothes our thoughts wear, and I know you love to be well dressed!"


For the past few days, I've been dwelling on the spiritual implications of this little saying. Words are such powerful things, aren't they? Sometimes it's hard to even determine whether our thoughts are dressed with words or if the words in our society have dressed our thoughts. What came first, the chicken or the egg?


Paul encourages us to clothe ourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience... forgiveness... and to put on love, which binds us together (Colossians 3). I think it's the chicken and the egg at the same time. These kinds of well dressed words spring forth from thoughts that are taken captive and made obedient to Christ and at the same time, words that we choose to clothe ourselves with.


I don't think I'll ever slip into a $200 pair of jeans or own a cashmere sweater, but everyday I have the opportunity to clothe myself in the beautiful clothes of the King.

5 comments:

Mrs. Dunbar said...

Such a beautiful post. You have a nice way with words. I needed this today. I hope you don't mind me peeking in on your world. Thanks.

Linda Z said...

Glad you do, Mrs. Dunbar! :) Are you a friend of Jen's?

Sandy said...

Boy, did I need to hear this today. Thank you for perfect timing and for bringing my thoughts and words back in alignment with God's perfect will. I'm going to join the Giving Thanks Challenge, too, though not on-line. :o) Blessings!

Denise said...

"Sometimes it's hard to even determine whether our thoughts are dressed with words or if the words in our society have dressed our thoughts."
mmm, good and challenging words, something our society needs to consider.
i'm gonna have to quote you again!

Lori said...

Well said Linda. I've been thinking about this and praying for the right words when interacting with people...then your quote of Colossians 3 reminded me why its my favorite chapter of the Bible. A beautifully dressed thought in the form of a gracious word can bring life to a dying soul. My pastor here spoke on the importance of communication just today...I think God is trying to teach me something. Thanks for being a living example!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...