Wednesday, October 22, 2008

My Heart for the Unborn: Part 2

(Read Part 1 here)




Sons are a heritage from the LORD,


children a reward from him.


Psalm 127:3


On the days when I am struggling the most with my relationships with my boys, I remind myself of this verse. My flesh and the world around me tempt me to think of them as a burden or a sacrifice of time and energy, but God sees them as a blessing and a legacy. Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these." Matthew 19:14 Oh, how I want to be continually humbled in this manner, to have my Savior's heart for my children every moment. I fail and I confess... and God continually teaches me and refines me.



As my pregnancy with Jason progressed, I asked the Lord to help me through my prenatal experiences at the doctor's office. About halfway through, I got the results of the triple screen test I had taken, so we would be aware of any genetic abnormalities and make any preparations necessary. My doctor called and said there was an increased risk for Down's Syndrome and that she wanted me to go in for genetic counseling.



Patrick and I went in together. The genetic counselor was very matter of fact and described chromosomal abnormality related to Down's. She suggested that we schedule an amniocentesis to conclusively determine if we had a Down's baby and with that knowledge, we would have the opportunity to abort our child. I expressed that I didn't feel comfortable doing a test that could possibly harm the baby or induce a miscarriage. Was there any other way we could prepare ourselves to know if this was possibly a Down's baby?



The counselor's response was quite harsh. She said we could have ultrasounds to see if the baby was measuring accurately. Then, she proceeded to tell me that I shouldn't have had the test in the first place. If I wasn't willing to have further testing done, I shouldn't have bothered at all. I explained that I just wanted to prepare my heart ahead of time for any differences from the norm. Narrowing her eyes, she suggested that next time around, I shouldn't waste anyone's time. If I wasn't willing to abort the baby, the test wasn't necessary as far as she was concerened. Patrick could see my temper beginning to boil, and shot me the "it isn't worth it" look, so I calmed down and thanked the counselor for her input. It was an unexpected education... I hadn't realized that the term genetic counseling implied such blatant abortion advocacy.


A couple of days ago, my mom asked, "Do you remember what Patrick said when you told him the baby might have Down's Syndrome?"



I admitted I couldn't recall, exactly.


He said, "God will teach us to love in a whole new way, won't He?" I love that man.

8 comments:

CoachZ said...

Thanks babe! There is definite moistness around my eye regions...not sure what that's about.

I remember premarital counseling over 10 years before that!

Workbook: What would you do if you had a down syndrome baby.

You: half a page of words explaining stuff

Me: the same answer I had for everything else in that book..."Pray and know that God is sovereign."

Now if only I could actually live that way...

jeninslo said...

Thanks for sharing your story. I don't think I would have realized genetic counseling was code for abortion advocacy either.

You two have an inspiring "love story" from the silliness (Beauty & The Beast) to the serious.

jason s said...

Thanks for sharing Linda! I have been MIA at homebuilders because I literally cannot get out of the house before 10 with the two girls which puts us at least an hour late. We are doing well though. --Rhiannon

Colleen said...

Something similar happened to my oldest sister. It was a very stressful time. It's really surprising how insensitive people can sometimes be in the helping fields.

I got the bookmark - thanks for sending it to me! I do a lot of reading, so I'll definitely be using it. :)

Alana said...

I'm enjoying your story...

CoachZ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Linda Z said...

Oopps!! I accidentally posted as Patrick! That's what happens when you have 2 bloggers in the house!!

Anyway, here is my comment...

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone! I'm working on Part 3. Gets more serious and maybe controversial, but it's the journey God's taken me on. Hope everyone will hang in there and that I can share with an abundance of God's love and grace, cause that's my heart!! :)

Paulina said...

I look forward to reading your blog Linda! It's always so encouraging and it blesses me beyond words.
I miss you my friend

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...