Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Goin' on a Rooster Hunt



Gonna catch a big one....






I'm not afraid!!


I live in a rather unique city. The old village area is home to several roosters who roam free and cock-a-doodle-doo to their hearts' content. I'm not sure how they came to reside there, but they have become mascots of sort.



One afternoon, the boys and I decided to go on a rooster hunt. We hunted over brick walls, under flags, through alleyways, around trash cans, across iron benches, and atop green grassy spots.



There were iron roosters and roosters made of twisted metal, a hay rooster, and a painted rooster. They peeked at us from store windows and perched themselves in pretty fenced yards. But not a one walked or doodle-dooed.


Oh, what's that up ahead? A hen house, or in this case, a rooster house?? Surely, we were getting closer!!!



And then Jason squealed and ran toward this big guy...

And Josh ran toward this handsome boy...




And I noticed this stately fellow...



And we all chased the little one...








No, we never caught one... but it was sure fun trying!!!

8 comments:

Jamie said...

Linda, I used to watch a little baby girl who lived near the village and whenever we went on walks she loved the roosters. I love how our town treats them like pets and they feed them and everything. The hen house is so great, I couldnt believe it exsisted the frist time I saw it.

jeninslo said...

What a fun afternoon! My "kids" like to chase roosters too. But they also like to eat roosters, so we don't let them do it.

Colleen said...

I'm pretty sure one of those roosters used to belong to the Brennans... they didn't know it was a rooster until it was too late to give back, and they only wanted chickens, so they let him roam free in the village with the other roosters. :) They figured he would be ok since the other roosters seem to thrive down there. I'm not sure if the kids know that... hopefully I'm not publishing a big secret!

Linda Z said...

Jamie- it's so funny, huh? :)

Jen- good job calling off the dogs!

Colleen- I'm fully cracking up right now!! That is sooo something the Brennans would do! Now I'm going to have to ask them!

Court said...

We have been down there and seen "The Big Guy" eat pasta! One of the cooks opened the back door and fed him a huge plate of scraps, it was funny to watch! Cute post!

Tamara said...

That sounds like so much fun, Linda! I do love the old village roosters :) Makes me miss home thinking about them!

Denise said...

what fun, chasing roosters!
makes me wonder what my kids and i could go on the hunt for???

jason s said...

That's a great thing to do. I'm on the quest to find cheap (free) things to do with Nayeli down here in South County and she loves chickens. We may have to do a rooster hunt of our own soon.
--rhiannon

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...