Saturday, May 3, 2008

Wearing the Word


I recently got a Christmas present. Yes, I do realize that it is May, and it certainly wasn't the fault of the giver (my parents... thank you soooo much!) You see, they gave me some money, and I knew that I wanted to get a Lisa Leonard necklace (It's so lovely... thank you, Lisa!), however, I couldn't make a decision about the style or what it would say. I am quite indecisive like that, especially when it comes to permanently stamping words into my jewelry.



I love words. I think I got that trait from my mother. She has the biggest dictionary I have ever seen, and if she doesn't know the meaning of a particular word, she is drawn like a magnet to that monstrous book and will not rest until she has completely satisfied her curiosity. She also loves safety and grammar, but that would be the topic of an entirely different post.



A few years ago, I was teaching 3rd and 4th grade Sunday School, and one of the lessons involved learning about how the Jews would actually wear the Word of God, binding it to their forehead or wrists. (See Deut. 6:4-9) I like the idea of being perpetually reminded of the Word, actually wearing it!! And it is far more preferable to eating it... Ezekiel style. I started reading the book of Ezekiel today, and discovered that God actually had him eat a scroll (3:3) which filled him up and tasted like sweet honey in his mouth. Hmmm... His Word is sweet, though, isn't it??!! ...It penetrates our souls, our spirits, our hearts.



In any case, I'll get back to the necklace... I chose 3 words that remind me of some of my favorite portions of Scripture. Words I want to think on often:

SOAR

This one reminds me of a verse that became part of me during my college years. Often weary, bogged down with multiple projects and studies, I was many a time encouraged by the words found in Isaiah 40.

30 Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; 31 but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.

ABIDE

This one became a part of me just a few years ago at a Calvary Women's Retreat. Patrick and I had gone through a difficult church split which left us disallusioned and with a pervasive lack of trust. That weekend, I finally understood, through John 15, that I must stay connected to and abide in Jesus, the author and finisher of my faith. As I drew close to Him once again, He drew close to me, forgave me, healed my wounds, and brought forth fruit.


4 Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless
it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me.
5 “I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for
without Me you can do nothing.

SHINE

This one was quite recent. I just completed a study of the book of Daniel with my Women's Bible Study, and our leader asked us to think about what impacted us from the study. I learned so much, and I couldn't seem to pinpoint one specific morsel... they were all so rich. But if I had to, I would have to choose this verse...

12:3 Those who are wise will shine like the brightness of the heavens, and those who lead many to righteousness, like the stars for ever and ever.

Oh, how I long for more of His wisdom, to shine brightly for His Kingdom and glory. May He continue to refine me so that I can reflect more of His beautiful light.

And that's why I'm... Wearing the Word!!

4 comments:

Soderin Family said...

It's beautiful Linda! I love that each word has such a special meaning to you. I also LOVE Lisa's jewelry.

Hope you see you soon.

Drea

Nicole Viola said...

Such a pretty necklace, and I loved hearing what each word stands for!
Love,
Nicole Bennett

CoachZ said...

Hey hon,
It was fun taking those pictures of you and your necklace. I could look at you forever!

Love ya...
pz

Denise said...

love your necklace.
i have a L.L. design with my kids names on it, i wear it too much (and i'm okay with that).
i am ready for a different one. i have been mulling over what my word(s) would be. SOAR is definitely
one of them, i love that verse, and in this season, i hope for the day when i will "fly on wings like eagles."

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...