Sunday, May 18, 2008

Slow Poke...


I'm kind of behind on the goings-on, as I am posting this weekend what actually happened last weekend. I tend to be slow like that. My mother used to sing a song to me called "Slow Poke," and I would have to admit that it was pretty true. For Mother's Day, I compiled a whole CD of songs that my mother used to sing to me when I was young, including the Slow Poke song. We sat and listened to them together a couple of days ago, and it was great fun reminiscing with her! She sang songs about the Old Lady who Swallowed a Fly, Yellow Ribbons Around an Old Oak Tree, a Bicycle Built for Two, an old Sea Shanty, having High Hopes, a damsel who pined after a Soldier, being Down By the Old Mill Stream, and many others. She used to dance with me and sing to me "my song"... Linda. She even sang the French National Anthem, making up the French as she went along with a spot on accent which convinced even my father that she actually knew it. I'm sure there were also the typical Row, Row, Row Your Boat, and Itsy Bitsy Spider, too, but those also belonged to everyone else. I liked that I had special songs that I only heard my mom sing... I felt like they were "our songs."


My darling boys (the big one and the two little ones) blessed me with another Lisa Leonard necklace on Mother's Day. It's so sweet! Because it took me forever to pick out the first one and decide if I wanted to do scripture or the kids' names, Patrick said they would love to get me a kids' names one for Mother's Day. Hmmm... let me think about that one for a sec! Go out to lunch or get an adorable necklace?? Necklace for sure!!! I love it and I especially love my cute boys!!


I also participated in Miracle Miles last weekend... it's a fundraiser for Family Care Network. I walked with Patrick, the kids (J-bear in a jogger), and my friend and her son. It's a 10K walk (or a little over 6mi for those of us who prefer standard measurement) from Morro Rock to the Cayucos Pier. I had never done this before and it felt pretty miraculous that I actually made it all those miles... and I did it in only 2 hours and 7 minutes. What is that? A 21 minute mile?? I am aware that it's a completely pathetic time, and yet I really felt like I was trying to walk pretty fast!! Having never entered a race before, it did give me some new perspective on Philippians 3 in terms of pressing on toward the goal. It didn't matter how fast I went, but that I pressed on and finished. It was encouraging to have friends and family alongside me, helping each other keep the goal in sight. Just like life, really. I am so blessed to have friends and family all pressing on toward our goal in Christ together. Let's keep pressing on... let's finish strong. If I happen to grow a turtle shell along the way, that's me... the Slow Poke!

4 comments:

Denise said...

Down by the old, not the new,but the old mill stream, not the river but the stream...
what a fun idea. i love it! i love that you cherish your songs. i sing to my kids all the time (silly made up songs too), silly songs, prayer songs, fill their heart songs, fight for them songs. i hope they will treasure their songs when they are older.

yeah for 21 min miles!

Jenny Schlenker said...

Linda, I found your sweet blog. I love you friend and miss your sweet spirit. I saw the photo of all the ladies at the retreat you all went on. oh my goodness- It made me tear up just missing you all. I just added your on my blog so I will be checking you our more hot stuff! xoxo!

Linda Z said...

Denise... I'm so glad I'm getting to know you via blogging! You are such a treasure!

Jenny... Yay! I'm glad you stopped by and I'll add you to my list, too. We miss you in CA as well, and you're pretty hot stuff yourself!! :)

Sarah Markley said...

so beautiful! and i read down on some of your recent posts...i love what you write. truly beautiful.

we like lisa too! =)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...