Sunday, March 30, 2008

Eight is Great...

Today my little Josh turned 8!! Josh's birthday festivities always begin with what we have affectionately named "Duck Day." You see, the day before he was born, my mom and I went down to feed the ducks in Oceano. I fit right in, waddling around with my overdue belly. Done with nesting at home, I was more than ready to see my little boy.
Continuing the tradition, each year on March 29th, I take Josh to feed the ducks. Some years he has run after the ducks, seagulls, geese, and various other birds with glee and reckless abandon, and others he has quietly sat on the hood of the car watching the birds and throwing stale bread from afar. This year there was a bitter cold wind that seemed to have chased the ducks and geese away. We were greeted by a flock of seagulls and black birds with big feet. Since it was a Saturday, Dad got to join us, which was fun. Unfortunately, he was was targeted twice by two bomber seagulls with exceptional aim.... sorry, hon!!
I am amazed how Josh has grown and all that he has learned. When he born, he had a blood condition. The doctor said that if it is not caught and treated, the condition leads to learning disablities and other things. I am grateful for the care God provided for my little one. I am especially grateful for a nurse that ministered to a set of unsure, first-time parents. She always had a smile, a word of encouragement, and a hand extended to help. She wasn't afraid that we might accidentally disengage Josh's IV or otherwise disrupt the paraphernalia that dangled from his body. She knew we needed reassurance and a cheerful heart, and she went beyond her call of duty to provide those things.
I am so blessed to have Josh in my life. He is fiery and sensitive, silly and serious, thoughtful and imaginative... He wants to do what is right. He wants to follow after Jesus and is growing in faithfulness each day. I pray that I will have more wisdom in his upbringing and that I will learn to love him well. He is a precious child of God. I am thankful to have him on loan...

5 comments:

Katie Mitchell said...

linda- you delight so much in your children and it is such a blessing to watch! plus... they are so adorable! thye have good genes :) what a blessing!

Linda Z said...

Awww.... thanks Katie! :)

Denise said...

what a darling blog.

i too love how you delight in your son.

thank you for the sweet comment at my blog.
i have read To Own a Dragon- it was so good, and i related so well to d.m.'s perspective.

i am hoping to see him speak in a few weeks.

aprilmae said...

Happy belated birthday to Josh! It sounds like he had a fabulous day, and he got his DS! whoot-whoot! I commented back to you on my blog, and will follow up w/ an email.

James said...

just showed davi his picture on the internet at the bday smash. he quickly pointed out that Jason was sitting next to him and had no shoes on... mmm, i thought he was going to be stoked his pic made it on your blog...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...