Wednesday, January 9, 2008
The Original "Manly"
I have a little confession. I know it's the age of Brad Pitt and George Clooney and Zac Efron, and sure, these guys are pretty faces, but the one who gets to my heart is Walnut Groves' own Charles Ingalls. It's not that I want to live back in the 1800's or anything, but I think a guy like Charles can translate well into any century.
What do I like like about him? Here's the top 10...
1. His heart for God and others.
2. His hard-working attitude, with the ability to relax and enjoy life, too.
3. His walk of integrity.
4. His ablility to infuse truth with grace, like Jesus (Jn. 1:14).
5. His tender and protective love for his wife and daughters.
6. His ability to lead his family and gain their trust and admiration.
7. His willingness to both turn the other cheek and sow seeds of peace or being equally as willing to fight against injustice if necessary.
8. His decisions to forgive, love, be patient with, and bring out the good in others.
9. His humility when asking for forgiveness after wronging someone.
10. And finally, his mean fiddle playing and dancing talents. Yeeha!!
I know, I know... I realize that he is a fictional character. At least the way he was portrayed on TV. But, by golly, that's the kind of man I want, and amazingly enough, God has blessed me with a Charles of my very own (except for the fiddle bit!). We've had a couple difficult situations in our neighborhood recently, and I was pretty astounded to see the way my Charles handled them. He prayed and looked these situations head on. He sewed seeds of peace, protected his family, and extended God's love. Once he even said, "He's not going to talk to my wife like that," and I think I almost swooned. It was a Caroline moment for certain.
So, I love you, honey! Thank you for being my "Charles." Here's a tribute to Charles and Caroline with music from another "C" squared... Steven Curtis Chapman. Do you remember this song from our wedding? Tomorrow morning if you wake up....