Thursday, January 3, 2008

Dear Oprah...


The race for the next President of the USA is on! I've been looking at the candidates from both major parties and have been trying to gather some knowledge to make an educated vote come Novemeber '08. I came across an article regarding Barack Obama and Oprah Winfrey and it spurned me on to write a letter to Ms. Winfrey. Here it is.

Dear Ms. Winfrey,

I just finished reading an article about your support of Mr. Obama. I am so glad to see that you are interested in and involved in the political process.

I would like to respectfully address what you were quoted as saying: "It's your time to seize the opportunity to support a man who, as the Bible says, loves mercy and does justly." Perhaps Mr. Obama loves mercy and does justly in many areas, but I have a major concern. He is a staunch supporter of abortion, including late-term and partial birth. Mercy and justice cannot be equated with the brutal and inhumane ending of children's lives.

I know, Ms. Winfrey, that you value learning and growth in your life. I implore you to learn more about what goes on in abortion mills. Please visit some, look at photos, hear stories about how woman and children are harmed from this violent procedure.

I learned that in slave days, African American people were only considered to be a percentage of a person. I am so glad that President Lincoln and others put their lives at risk to fight that lie. In the same vein, I want a president who will look at a baby in the womb and say, "That is 100% human, and I will do all I can to protect, and to give him/her the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

Thank you so much for considering and contemplating what I have said. I pray that God would give you understanding, and that this issue would grieve your heart as it does mine.
Sincerely,
Linda Zalamea
To those of my dear friends who have experienced abortion first hand, may our great and compassionate God continually bring you His healing. I pray that, in Jesus, you would walk in an abundance of life, as you deeply abide in Him. I love you, dear ones.

2 comments:

Katherine said...

Beautifully put to words Linda. I truly admire your gift to express truth with such clean humility. I too wrote Oprah years ago about this same subjet.

Linda Zalamea said...

Thank you, Katherine. I am humbled and awed by the great mercy of our Lord Jesus, the giver of life.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...